Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold Water sailing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wondering if I could get advise about the most economical cold H2O gear to purchase. Gloves, boots wet/dry suits etc. I'm talking about CO mountain lakes in April!!

Thanks gang

Post subject: Re: Cold Water sailing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My advise- if you plan to spend any significant time sailing in cold water, do not cheap out on gear. Get quality equipment that fits well. You will be a whole lot more comfortable and safer. Try on your wetsuit/drysuit before your buy or if you order from an online retailer, make sure you're satisfied with their return/exchange policy before you click "buy". I would think Colorado lakes in April means drysuit for sure.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dunno how cold it is there, but we deal with 48-55 deg water here in California. Drysuits are where it's at. Wetsuits work but drysuits are much more comfortable. I use a Kotokat Hydrus Angler one. With NRS wetsuit boots.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since you are on a budget, I would pass on the drysuit. If you go for a swim and your drysuit doesn't stay dry, you are going to have a bad day. Reliable drysuits are not cheap.

Wetsuits are easier to find second hand, and a small tear isn't going to ruin day. Booties, gloves and a hood go a long way. Personally, I don't bother putting on a full length wetsuit unless I am going to put on gloves and boots. With the right gear, wetsuits work in below freezing air and any water that is still liquid.

For those less cold days a shorty wetsuit is a great thing to have. Much easier to put on and still provides significant warmth. I payed less than $20 for mine at a garage sale.

Of course, all of this assumes that you are young and cheap, and therefore willing to sacrifice some comfort to uphold your cheapness. Anyone that wants to be truly comfortable should listen to RBark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question about gloves. Fingerless or full hand. Thickness? 5mm?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail on Lake Superior (laughing at the Cali "cold" temps of 48-55 as that's close to the mid-season temps for me). I typically use a 5/4 full wetsuit early/late season. I use NRS wetshoes and for my hands I typically just wear my sailing gloves for handling the lines. If the water is still really cold (35-45) I'll take my wetgloves with me in a pocket on my PFD. That way if I end up in the water for an extended period of time (god forbid) I can put those on at least.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I'm pretty set. My son is a rail, (6'5") really skinny. What size wet/dry suit should we start with while sizing? Seems it will be a hard fit with a wet suit. Dry suit you just fill up with undergarments? Not as critical a fit except the neck,wrists,ankles?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forgot to ask this question. My hand is exactly at the high end of Medium and low end of Large. Where would you go with that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The critical part of drysuits is to dress for immersion. So don’t dress for air temp, dress for water temps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is no “standard” when it comes to wetsuit sizing. All manufacturers are different. You have to go by the height, weight, and other dimensions on their sizing chart, or call the retailer directly to discuss. That is why it’s highly recommended to try a suit on before you buy or deal with a company that allows free exchanges for size. Regarding your son’s particular situation, some manufacturers offer large-tall size (LT) which may fit his needs. Some of the larger companies, like Body Glove, also offer wetsuit alteration services or may even be able to custom tailor a suit.

Also, if you’ve never worn a wetsuit before, it is a good idea to shop at a retailer that knows what they’re doing (a real surf or dive shop, not Walmart or West Marine) or have someone experienced inspect the fit for you. The suit should be snug but not tight.

sm