Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How on Earth to Chose
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everyone,

I did a little research before just coming here and asking this question, but I couldn't find anything that helped much. I was hoping someone here could give us a push in the right direction.

Basically, my family and I are looking for a Hobie, but really don't know which one to geet. We live in VT, but spend a lot of time in NH and ME.

So here is a quick snapshot of what I'm thinking and some questions:

1. Racing isn't important, but would be nice to have something fairly fast at times.

2. Are the rails worth it or do they get in the way? It seems like kids would like leaning back in a harness more than sitting on the rails.

3. This would mostly be family relaxing on the water.

4. Something fairly easy to sail.

5. Is a boom-less rig the way to go?

6. Are there any places in New England we could rent a few different types of Hobies to help get an idea of what we want?

What I'm hoping for is someone to say "hey dummy, you want this one. You'll love it because..."

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This Saturday at Goddard Park in Rhode Island is Fleet 448's "Learn to Sail " day. http://www.sailx.com/forum/general/476135-not-about-zep

Quote:
Hey Fleet 448 Friends! Want to try out a short sail or learn more about beach cats and the fleet? Have a "new to you" boat and could use some help with rigging, maintenance, or getting started? We will have some of our fleet members and their boats here to share their experience and encourage others to learn more about our passion - Sailing Hobie Cats! No charge, but please RSVP so we know you're coming!

I don't know who is going (and probably am not able to go myself), but there is a wide variety of boats owned by fleet members and you'd probably get a chance to ride on several different types.

Vermont presents an interesting question because it has a very big lake, a couple of biggish lakes, and a lot of small ones. Different boats work better in different spaces and sailing skills.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks @jclarkdawe,

Fro anyone who is reading this post with the same questions, I'm leaning toward the Getaway due to the ability to take multiple people out. It seems to be more of a family boat that can still get some pretty decent speeds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getaway is the way to go.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Getaway seems like it was designed for exactly what you want. Depending on the kids ages, I'm not sure I'd want them on a trapeze unless there was zero risk of a capsize. From videos I've seen, a person on the wire can get pretty beat up flying through the air when the boat goes over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got a Getaway. I owned a Hobie 17 when my kids were little, and I've sailed a Hobie 16.

The Getaway is hands down, the best family boat. Loads of room, great capacity, comfortable and easy to rig and sail. I wish it had been around in 1990 when I bought the 17. The 17 is not a family boat, but there weren't the choices there are now.

Having no boom affects the performance somewhat, but it's nice not having to duck the boom when tacking. When Hobie spun off the 17 SE racer to a "sport" cat, they made it boomless.

The wings are great. Backrest on lazy days, gets you above the spray (mostly) on windy days, and you can trapeze off them. You can remove the wings and trap off the hull too, if you prefer. (My 17 had wings too, it was a selling point for me. Too bad the hulls of the 17 were such low capacity.)

The forward tramp is great with kids, and a great place to hang out on lazy days.

And the Getaway is no slouch. I outran a Hobie 18 SX one day! I was by myself, and there were 2 people on the 18, so I think it must have been the weight difference, because the 18 SX really is a faster boat.

I had reefing points put in my Getaway sail, so if I'm out with grandkids on a windy day, I can relax a bit that I'm not (mostly likely) going to capsize.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me chime in...get a Getaway. Look at the posts on all the forums...look at how many are having problems with their boats...then look at the Getaway to see how many issues there are in comparison...Getaway, hands down, is the best boat Hobie makes for reliability.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Same here, family of 4. I decided to go with a new 2017 Getaway & if want more of a sports car down the road I can get a 16 off craigslist but I love the Getaway. Kids like to anchor & use it as a swim platform, diving off the wings etc.

Steve C.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpdavis473 wrote:
Let me chime in...get a Getaway. Look at the posts on all the forums...look at how many are having problems with their boats...then look at the Getaway to see how many issues there are in comparison...Getaway, hands down, is the best boat Hobie makes for reliability.

Agreed. Also take a look at the classifieds, not many getaways for sale.