Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

some background: recreational sailer looking to both simplify (sort of) and keep it fun. Currently have a bunch of water toys; 1999 16, mid 2000's bravo, and just bought a brand new Tandem Island and optional trampolines (doing my part to keep Hobie around). The TI is meant to be the main family fun boat, safe and fun for the young kids on day trips to local lakes. Typical day is family fun for a couple hours, lunch, then maybe some solo sailing for me while the kids play on the beach.

The question is what would make the best secondary boat. The bravo is fun, but not too fast and not fun like the 16, and crowded for 2 adults. The 16 is tons of fun, but really needs 2 people, which means I can only use it when friends (who can tow one of the trailers) come along, not just the family (at 175 lbs I don't feel comfortable sailing it solo in anything above 5-8mph breeze, and not too comfortable taking young kids that are not experienced swimmers on it).

Leaving out the hassle factor of selling the bravo and 16, etc, and assuming the price difference for any of the options is acceptable, what makes the best mostly solo fun boat, with room for others occasionally, and consolidating to s single trailer (TI under the cat, or, as now, TI next to Bravo on a double jets trailer)

Wave seems like a slightly bigger bravo, not too exciting. Does a jib kit help?

Dragoon? There is one for sale fairly close by in the classifieds right now, not sure how long before it sells. How would a boat like this compare to the bravo, or to a Hobie 14? 16? Anyone sailed one? Marketed as a youth trainer, but for a solo 175lb'er?

New 14/turbo - Hobie USA is now offering the 14 as a special order boat, and at least one dealer I have found online actually seems to stock them, and I assume my local dealer can order one as well. I had one 25 years ago, and recall it was a blast, but memory fades a bit from so long ago, anyone with recent 14 vs 16 experience. Other than the weight sensitivity, is it 90% performance of a 16? 80%. The ability to set up and sail it solo is really appealing.

T2? - Still a special order boat, but seems as large/larger than the 16, is it really. good solo boat? With less sail area, probably more manageable to sail, but certainly not to right solo. maybe more secure when the family or kids join me? what is the fun factor compared to a 14/16

Getaway - Seems like a slower, heavier T2

Other thoughts or experiences? Thanks in advance, looking forward to some discussion, I read through many old threads the last few days, but nearly all are looking for the perfect race boat, not much on the perfect recreation boat...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use the 16, just eat more doughnuts!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Use the 16, just eat more doughnuts!!!

the easy solution! I'll stop at the new Dunkin on the way to work tomorrow.

leaning towards the 14 turbo option, but would value any comparisons and opinions

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The H14 is mostly a single handed boat, it won't handle as much weight as a 16. I've read that the Getaway is a great family boat but I have never sailed one. The 16 can handle some weight and can be used to just cruise around on, but you probably already know that. Yeah, doughnuts are all you need and you can single hand the 16 with ease, lol. So get on that doughnut weight plan and you'll be fine. Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't have any experience on any of the others as I just started sailing this year but, I have a 14 turbo (84 redline) It is a blast, can easily be sailed solo, I have sailed 7 times in my life now so to say it's easy to sail is an understatement.

I weigh 230 and haven't sailed with a 2nd person yet. I bet you would be fine with a small child at your weight and solo sailing is definitely fun on this. Literally takes only ~1-2 knots to move.

I set it up in ~ 1/2 hour.

You might be able to make your trailer so you could stack the 14 over one of your TI not sure how big your trailer is.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good feedback, thanks. That is the idea, modify the trailer if needed to slide the TI under whatever cat I end up with, whether it is keep the 16 or look into one of the other options. I remember loving my old 84 turbo, but it's so long ago, I cannot recall how it compares to the 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getaway would be my choice...your family will get bigger and a Getaway is easily single handed in anything below 18kts wind (at which time you could put in a reef if you have your mainsail modified to reef). It has no boom so you can't kill your kids accidentally. With the "wings" it is comfortable AND, if you really want performance you can fit a spinnaker. It doesn't need trapping to keep on its feet and makes a great swim platform for just hangin'. Will do 15 kts easily which is pretty fast or fast enough. Simple and safe and quick and cheap...not much out there to beat it. OH, EASY to get from trailer to sailing if you get the mast raising gear. IMO, best boat Hobie makes...and don't take my word for it; browse the forum and see how many quality problems all the others have in comparison--including (especially) your TI.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II