Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

So I ordered a Hobie Tandem Island from Austin Canoe and Kayak on June 2nd. The kayak arrived damaged, ACK replaced it but then the second kayak also arrived damaged. The damaged one was clearly a return they had received from another customer as it lacked the packaging that the first kayak had. The delivery driver even acknowledged they used a fork lift when it says not to on the packaging. ACK has told me that they will refund the money once they see their shipping company has picked up the return. Since then, I purchased a TI from a local dealer.

I had to harass ACK to get a pick up date for the return because they do not respond to emails or answer the phone. When they do answer, it is just a bunch of stoner frat boys who always need to get back to me about the issue. Then they do not call back and I have to call them back asking what is going on. Rinse and repeat. I have been trying to return this damaged product for 3 weeks. On the scheduled date for pick up, ACK's shipping company Estes did not pick up the kayak or give me any phone call to tell me they were unable to make it. After I called Estes, they said their trucks are unable to make it up my road. They were able to deliver 2 kayaks before this in their bobtail truck and a full size fire truck has no issue navigating my road so I do not understand the problem.

Anyways, so its been close to 6 weeks from my initial purchase and Austin Canoe and Kayak was never able to deliver a kayak that did not have major damage. I have been trying to return a product for 3 weeks and they are unable to provide any pick up date. I would suggest any one reading this to avoid ACK like the plague. They do a ton of internet marketing so I hope no one else gets $7000 held up because they use the worst shipping company I have ever dealt with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

That is a shame! Usually ACK is quite good. I imagine they are in full season mode now too. I will forward your info to our regional rep to see if they can get movement on this.

Send to me at mmiller(at)hobie(dot)com

Another great reason to buy local!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response and any help!

Full transparency, ACK has been great for any accessories. All of the items beyond the kayak arrived perfectly with no issues. The kayaks, they ship with Estes and unfortunately the shipping company they use reflects on them.