Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve tried searching the forum for the answer but couldn’t find it anywhere so forgive me if it’s been asked before. I’ve been sailing club Hobie waves for the last 2 years and am thinking its time to move on to something more challenging. We don’t get a lot of wind where I sail (Lac Deschenes on the Ottawa River), usually between 4-8 knots in the warm months and I’m finding the wave a bit sluggish unless it gets a fair bit windier. There’s currently a pretty good deal on a Hobie 14 Turbo and reasonably priced 16s come up on the used market fairly often. I weigh about 175lbs and sail almost exclusively solo though I may take my 6 year old out on calm days. I would do casual races with either boat (we don’t have a fleet of hobies around here for one design) and I’ll still have access to the wave of it gets too breezy for me to sail either the 14 or 16. Really my question is whether the 14 or 16 is better in light wind, sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't sailed on a 14T, but my 16 is pretty responsive in light winds. I've only needed to paddle once, and that was only because what little wind we had right then was swirling, making sailing really difficult. Any light breath of wind really gets the boat moving nicely, and when the wind does kick up a bit it's nice and exciting. Pretty easy to go faster than the wind in these; last time I was out my speed logger said we got it up to 13 knots, and there's no way the wind was faster than 11-12.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have no experience on a 16 but I have a 14 turbo redline I bought this year. I weigh 230# and if there is enough wind to move the surveyors tape I Use for wind direction indicators the boat will move.

Most nights I get ~ 2-5 knots lately until sunset. Then the wind seems to pretty much drop off completely. I learned a trick night before last. You can actually row and get the boat moving by moving the rudders back and forth. I was looking at the boat ramp and the wind had completely died and I really didn't want to untie my paddle so I figured I would try it, I was pretty surprised at how quick I was going just by doing that.

I just started sailing this year and I have had it out once when the wind was 10-15 with ~ 20 knot gusts. Talk about flying! The jib is easy to use as well solo.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have both a 16 and 14T. Compared to the 16, the 14T (actually my daughter's) isn't going to do much for you at your weight (I'm a little more) in light winds. I love to take the 14T out when it's nukin', but no question the 16 is the better choice (even when solo) for the conditions you describe. You would have no trouble righting the 14T solo, but would need and aid or assistance with the 16.