Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy a Hobie Cat for sailing with my family. Kids 5 and 8 years old. I have previously been looking at HC16, but now have a question if that might be a too “lively” option for cruising with the children.
I have now seen Hobie Cat Pacific’s in a couple of listings, have anyone here tried both?

I expect to sail solo at times and a wonder if I would be able to handle the boat on my own. Both in the water and on land, for example getting up an boat ramp with a beach dolly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

The Pacific is a European model never imported to the US, so not a lot of experience to be found.

I think I remember it being a Tiger hull with a rotating centerboard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK. I will try to find an European forum to post in.

The Pacific is an 18" boat without centerboard, it has a small keel much like the HC15 or Getaway.

It also has the Wings and some version a bowsprit for a gennaker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much sailing experience do you have? Where would you sail - ocean, lake, or bay? I don't understand what you were describing about using a dolly on a boat ramp. Normally you would trailer the boat and back it into the water. I always sailed where I could drag the boat, after launching, in the water to a beach to finish rigging. An H-16 weighs about 320lbs and can be carried by 4 people (or even 3 if one is a little stronger). Dragging it alone, up a ramp would not work well.

When sailing with your children, would there be another adult with you? I have sailed with small children but always with another adult. It goes without saying that life jackets would be required. Here in NC it is the law that children under 14 must wear life jackets.

The H-16 is an exciting boat to sail in a good wind. In lighter winds it is a comfortable sail. Sailing solo is not difficult but you would need assistance in the event you turned over, whether someone in a boat comes to help or you have a water bag to add to you weight to right the boat. Two adults should have no problem in righting it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you thought about the Getaway? I sail a 16 (35, married w/ no kids) and love it, but for a family boat the getaway has a lot to offer. You can take the wife and both kids on it with plenty of room to spare and stow gear on the forward tramp. There is no boom to hit the kiddos if they aren't ducking during a tack/gybe, there's a bob to prevent a full-turtle capsize, and they are much more resistant to pitch-poling than the 16. They still get going in the breeze, but are a little on the heavy side on the beach. You've also got the comfort of wings. Lastly, they seem to hold their value well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi again.

I live in southern part of Sweden and is looking to sail in the surrounding oceans. I have sailed mono haul boats with friends for several years but never owned a boat of my own.

At many places here the local boat clubs/harbors have places on land where you can have your dinghys/laser and catamarans, this work very well for me also is I do not have any place att my house to keep a Hobie on a trailer. That is why I asked about being able to use a dolly on my own to get the boat in an out of the water.

Regarding the Getaway, I sailed it a couple of weeks ago while on vacation. I really liked the wings when sailing with the children, and I think they preferred it as well giving a bit of a sense that there were a place to sit that wasn't to wet. When sailing with the children we were always two adults on board, and of course we all wore life jackets.

But then you think I need to find another place to get the boat into the water than from a boat ramp if doing it by myself, regardless if it is an HC16 or Pacific.

To me the Getaway and the Pacific seem quite alike, but the Pacific being 2" longer. Below is a picture of an Pacific.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I owned my H-16 for almost 30 years and sailed solo quite often in lakes. I would not sail alone on the ocean. I found that launching and then beaching the boat for the final rigging and raising the sails was the best way. It is not advisable to raise the sails and then move the boat down the beach to the water. You can store it on a beach and then use a dolly (cat trax) to bring it to the water but dragging that much weight back up the beach would be pretty difficult for one person.

The picture you posted was on a beach with stored boats in the background. I assume that is typical of where you would store your boat. Is there a stretch of beach or would you have to launch on a boat ramp?

I have also sailed mono hulls. The difference between them and catamarans is significant. Hull speed of a mono hull would be about 6 mph (10 kph?) while I have gotten up to over 20 mph (32 kph). If there are any H-16 sailors in your area, you might want to ask to crew on one. You already have experienced the Getaway.

Once you get comfortable sailing a catamaran, you won't want to sail on mono hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One advantage about monohulls compared to a cat, is most of them sail much dryer. Depending on how cold the water in your area is, a cat may have a short sailing season. I have a drysuit for when I want to push my season (Chicago area) or if I'm on the Great Lakes.

Too many canoes and kayaks