Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just thought I would start a thread to give / get tips on getting set up faster off the trailer or on the beach to spend more time sailing less time preparing to sail.
I have to trailer to/ from every time I sail so I lose ~ 1/2 hour before and after of sailing time.

Today I bought 4 ratchet straps and customized the length so I won't have to fiddle with the extra strap when I tie down my boat.

I use a ratchet strap with a towel wrapped around the mast to tie down the mast at the rear crossbar and the excess from that strap I use to secure my main sheet and the two shrouds.

My 14 is a turbo so I have the jib sheets to secure as well and I have a paddle tied to the center tramp lacings with a nylon strap, the excess from that I use to secure the jib sheets.

To secure my rudders and helm, I have 3 ~ 1 foot lengths of 1/8" cord I use and tie a short length around the rudder casting and tiller to secure the rudder. Then I take the third and go through the mainsheet deadeye and the hole in the tiller connector.

Finally, I tie down the front of the mast on the mast support with a rope that is secured to the mast support so it's always there.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now for the set-up Off the trailer!
First, I connect the jib to the short head stay. Next the bridle wires and don't forget the Teflon bearing!

Next I raise the mast As I leave the shrouds connected. Followed by tensioning the rig.

I have my sail in the back of my truck and before I back into the water I set the sail and hiking stick on the tramp.

Untie the boat from the trailer and back it down.

I sail alone so I dump the boat, pull it over to the beach and park the truck/ walk back.

Raise the main, connect the main sheet, hopefully remember to set the downhaul!

Then I untie the rudders and tiller and put on the hiking stick, put on the pfd.

Turn it into the wind, lightly sheet in, maybe pull on the jib and hopefully sail off!

Any tips ideas on ways to speed any of this up fire away!
Hopefully this will help someone

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With regards to securing the boat to the trailer:

I have vertical eye bolts on the ends of the trailer's cross beams (just outside of the rollers). On the port side I have ropes tied with a bowline to each eye bolt. On the other end of each rope is a trucker's hitch (with a SS thimble). When the boat is on the trailer, I throw the front rope across the boat and tie it down on the starboard side using the pre-made trucker's hitch and a slip knot. The rear tie down rope goes under the side rails and over the two rear corner castings before connecting to the starboard eyebolt using the trucker's hitch and slip knot. Weaving the rear rope under the side rails and over the corner castings will keep the boat from sliding forward if you have to slam on the brakes when towing. To untie the boat from the trailer involves pulling on the free ends of the two slip knots and coiling these two ropes before hanging them over the vertical port side rollers.

To keep the boat from sliding backwards on the trailer, I connect the hook on the trailer winch's 2" strap around the front cross beam next to the mast step.

The shackle connecting the two jib sheet blocks is connected to the bridles' 10 hole forestay adjuster and then the jib sheets are drawn taut.

I also unhook my shrouds each time and use six 12" (yellow) Star Brite sail ties (West Marine) to strap the shrouds and forestay to the mast. A folded towel is placed between the rear cross beam and mast.

For securing the rest of the boat I use 8 color coded bungee cords.

I also have to trailer my boat each time and it takes about 15 minutes from the time I arrive at the beach and I am sailing.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL