Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hulls fixed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I understand that there is suppose to be foam blocks inside my hulls. where should be and what size are they I sail a Hobie 18

Post subject: Re: Hulls fixed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a Hobie 1&, the blocks are located inside the hull between the rear crossbar and the daggerboard trunk. I would estimate that they take up 1/2 to 2/3 the hull volume in that area. If you open the access port, hold a small mirror, and shine a light inside the hull, you should be able to easily see them.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The foam blocks are wrapped and sealed in plastic sheeting.
Use a mirror, like SRM said...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe the rules state they have to be a specific size according to Rule 9.5 where is says must not be reduced in size. What size is this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, the rules state “Hull flotation blocks as supplied by the HOBIE CAT CO. shall not be removed or reduced in size.” So as long as you (or a previous owner) haven’t touched them, you’re fine. If they’ve been taken out or modified, then you’re in violation of the rules and technically there would be no recourse.

From a practical sense, you could put a foam block (or bundle of pool noodles or something similar) in the space to replace the blocks and it’s unlikely anyone would raise an issue. But there is no defined requirement for the size of the block because it’s supposed to be left alone. The best you’re going to get is what I stated before, it goes from the dagger trunk to the rear crossbar and takes up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the hull cavity in that area.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks but it does cause issues when you buy a second hand boat and find they are missing to start with. Maybe technical director of hobiecat company can tell us what they need to be to be legal again as I’m sure there must be a way of making it legal if they were removed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arghhhh:
Like remove the decking, replace the foam blocks, reglue the hull and put the boat back together?
OR, cut a huge rectangular hole in the deck, replace the foam blocks and regfibreglass? Yikes,
Most fleets will not penalize you for not having legal foam blocks.....go with the flow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's no way you could install new blocks without cutting the hull open as John mentioned and, further, even if you wanted to go that route, there's basically no way you're going to get new blocks from Hobie (the 18 went out of production 15 years ago so Hobie almost certainly doesn't have any laying around and, to my knowledge, they were never a sellable item even when the boats were in production). So conforming to the letter of the rules, which state that the blocks have to be supplied by Hobie Cat Co., is a moot point - it's not going to happen.

Cut an access port near the rear crossbar, stuff some pool noodles in the hull until it's filled 1/2 - 2/3's full and be done with it. Very unlikely that anyone you race against is going to care as long as the boat has something in there.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On older boats, who knows how 'good' the foam blocks are....and we all need to be 'safe'.
So instead of pool noodles, I cheaped out - my solution was to use some collapsible plastic sterile water containers with screw tops
(found in the garbage can of my local medical lab)
approx 14" x 14" x 14", deflated them, inserted them, and re-inflated them.