Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie sells two types of beach dolly rollers: Blue Wave (hard wheels) and Cat Trax (inflatable wheels). Can anyone offer insight on which would be best? I have to roll about 50yds to the water across sand. Slightly uphill on the way back. I have a Hobie 16.

The Blue Wave lists for ~$450 and the Cat Trax lists for ~$500.

Any insight offered would be appreciated. I currently have a DIY set, but they just doesn't work as well as my friend's Cat Trax. Time to bite the bullet!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Cat Trax (black rubber wheels) are far better in soft sand. The blue plastic wheels are hard and best for stiffer surfaces. They tend to plow in soft sand. Same as a vehicle in sand. Softer (lower pressure) tires crawl across the sand easier.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really like the CatTrax. I pull my Wave about 300 feet each way with the last 100 feet or so being soft beach sand. I have the CatTrax with the handle and the cradles and I never have to tie the boat to the wheels. I nudge the cradles to the edge of the hulls and then use the righting rope to pull the Wave onto the cradles to a balance point. I then hold the handle in my right hand and the left bridle wire in my left for balance and walk the trailer to the water. I hear about all the struggles folks on here have with getting the boat to stay on the wheels but it has always been simple for me with the cradles and the handle. Mine came with the boat (used) so I don't know if I would have spent the money new for the whole setup but it works like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inflatable wheels easier on the Hulls if they slip out on you.I had the plastic ones put a nice dent in my new 16 when they hit the inside of the Hull.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a set of Cat Trax also. They make moving my H16 around in the yard a breeze. Where I sail, I offload from trailer to Cat Trax and roll over small rocks and into the lake. They work great!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can attest to the blue trax not being the best. They are what came with my boat, so they are what I've used for the last 15 years or so. They do dig in quite a bit in soft sand, but they are great on hard surfaces. I really struggle with the blue tracks when pulling the boat up an incline through sand. They can also fill with water, making them a bit heavier. That being said, they've lasted this long and they really look about the same as the day I got them.