Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just bought a used Hobie 14 LE Turbo and it is missing the furling jib.

Is there supposed to be a boom vang? I see a clip on the boom, but no boom vang? Any info on what it should look like/how to install?

Also, are there any videos or FAQs on stepping the mast and tuning the stays/shrouds?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boom vang is optional, but typically not used. Any vang would be a custom setup.

Setup documents references.

https://www.hobie.com/support/hobie-14/

http://www.w1dm.com/Projects/HOTLINE/10 ... OTLINE.pdf

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of these resources....will start reading! I have ordered a new furling jib from Fogh Marine in Toronto (to come from Hobie in USA).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know where to get a regular mainstay for a Hobie 14? I may decide to go with only the single sail until I'm more confident and then add the furling jib?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

drinkwa2 wrote:
Does anyone know where to get a regular mainstay for a Hobie 14? I may decide to go with only the single sail until I'm more confident and then add the furling jib?

Not really understanding this question. The whole point of a Turbo is the added jib, and the whole point of the extra furling hardware on the Turbo is so you can furl the jib when you don't want to use it. You do have the swivel/pigtail and furler, right? Unless you are very small or are always in big air, I expect you'll be unfurling the jib pretty soon.

I don't think there's a common part called a "regular" forestay for a Turbo. A loft that makes aftermarket H14T jibs might sell you just the luff wire. Or you can try to find a cheap used jib and just use the luff wire from it (even if the sail material is toast). Or you could have a rigger make one. Seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble/expense, though, when you already have a new jib on order.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had thought it was a Classic (as it only had a Main sail) and didn't realize it was a Turbo until I had a friend come to mast step it. I had wanted a simple Hobie for my kids to start to sail on....and it gets quite windy on the lake where I am. Will start with it as a Classic and perhaps upgrade it to a Turbo next summer.

I found out I can get the Hobie 14 Forestay and forestay adjuster from Fogh Marine in Toronto.

Looking forward to getting out on it!:) Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The forestay and bridle lengths are different between the “classic” and turbo versions. You cannot just put a classic forestay on a 14 turbo, the forestay isn’t going to reach. If you’re converting a turbo to a classic, you will need to swap out both the forestay and the bridle wires.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for letting me know....I will order the 14 Classic bridle wires from Fogh, as well!