Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More boats in Europe?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why does Hobie Europe make so many different boats while Hobie US make many fewer.

For example I think they have a boat at every foot increment in the Rotomold models and the same for fiberglass? Do they sell that many more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Agreed. They have smaller, boomless boats. That would be much safer when I take my retarded friends out. Alas, it will be funny when one of them ends up in the water. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My understanding is that sailing is a lot more popular in Europe than in the US. The price of gasoline over there makes sailing a good way for people to get on the water. Windsurfing is way more popular over there because it's inexpensive, easy to store and transport. I suspect the same would be true for small boats like Hobies.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie max looks like alot of fun and so do some of the other boats. Some of them look to be roto mold that are more performance oriented.

Post subject: More boats?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat Europe imports the Bravo, Wave and Getaway for their line... from us. They also import our kayaks.

We import the Tiger and FX-One from them.

Do they sell more because they list more boats? Not necessarily. They just don't drop boats from their list very often. I would think we are likely selling more than them these days. We don't exchange sales numbers, so it is hard to tell.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Huh, that is interesting.

Matt, first of all I would like to say that I think you do a wonderful job of keeping up with replys on here and on other websites.
Secondly, you are handling the whole debate that is going on on catsailor wonderfully. Granted I do disagree slightly with some of the things you have said but that isn't important. It is nice to see someone from a large company that can keep us informed.

On another note, when is Hobie going to build a F16 class boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gree2056 wrote:
On another note, when is Hobie going to build a F16 class boat?

Since Matt doesn't know anything about the European operation you'd have to find someone "across the pond" and ask them :wink:
Bear in mind they already produce a successful 16 footer in Europe that was introduced here in 1973.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,produits

This is the Homepage of Hobie Cat europe.
Also the HC 14 seems to be in production.

Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which 16 footer would that be, John? :lol:

David

Post subject: F16?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Admin

We will likely have to rely on Hobie Cat France to move on a F16 concept. They have been the leader for Hobie Worldwide on producing new glass cat products in the last few years. We have intentionally been partnering with them, us making rec and them performance due to the different markets we are in. Yes, it does conflict with the current 16, so may be counter productive to go there. I am pretty sure we still sell more Hobie 16s than any other "performance" cat out there, so why mess with a good thing. Sometimes you just have to say no.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I asked the same question (why does Hobie Europe have so many models and options compaired to Hobie America?) via email to Hobie America and got a very nice informative response. In a nut shell, I was told that the Europen market is more diverse and performance oriented, with large numbers of sailing schools and clubs, where as the US market is narrower and more leisure oriented. :cry:

Post subject: Performance or Rec?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Can't fight reality guys.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I may ask, what exactly is the difference between the european 16 and the american one? From my limited knowledge it seems like they tend to use more spin packages than over here but is that it? Also, and I don't mean to cause a fuss, but it seems like the popularity of hobie sailing has decreased in the US since the 80's, which makes no sense to me. Keep in mind that this is just an observation from a young sailor, I don't have nearly the experience as the majority of you guys/gals on this forum. Why do you think this is? Or, please tell me if I'm totally off base. What could young sailors like myself do to increase the popularity of hobie sailing?

Also, I'd just like to second gree's comment on how well Hobie USA responds to it's customers, (fan base). Matt, and all of you other hobie reps and fleet leaders do an overwhelmingly awesome job here on these forums. I think I speak for everyone when I say it certainly doesn't go un-noticed and that it makes me proud to sail a Hobie. I never imagined that when I bought my old used 16 that I would have so much support and that is truely priceless. Keep doing what your doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing that I don't like about Hobie is the fact that they don't give away free boats. Granted there are some things that I disadree with that they do but in general they provide much better customer support than other companies.

If you do look at the pole on this forum you will see the there are very few younger sailors and lots of older baby boomers.

That generation had a little more drive in general to get out and do something. Lot of younger people my age just don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why do anything when you can do it on the playstation or a computer? Nah, obviously I'm just joking, but I see what you mean about the difference in generations. I think our advancing technology is really double edged. I'm all for technologicl growth but I really think it is changing the attitudes of many younger people in that there is simply so much easy,mindless entertainment. Or maybe that's not it at all, I really don't know. That's one of the reasons I love sailing hobies, it's work, but it's fun and keeps me outside. It also makes me feel like I am in touch with one of man's oldest desires, to conquer the wind and make ourselves fly on water.