Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
last year i asked here suggestions for my first cat, then i bought an old class A that is giving me a lot of fun, i still enjoy it a lot but i would like to change it with a catamaran that is capable of carrying more people, ideally 4, that is still fast and funny, and that is less reactive and nervous.
Maybe it's also because of my limited skills and experience, but with my class A catamaran (18 feet 13sqm mainsail only and 90kg weight) i need to be very attentive and ready all the time, cannot just enjoying sailing and looking around, it's extremely reactive.
So i thought my ideal boat is the hc18, possibly with wings, but here in Italy there are not so many offers on the second hand market so i consider also the hobie tiger/wild cat.
I know this is more a racing boat, more oriented on performance and more reactive.
I'm 70kg / 154 lbs and i sail both alone or with other people and i was wondering the diffences between this 2 boats, especially regarding this aspects:
    weight, for moving on the beach
    Sailing with chop seas
    Crew weight, ideal and max allowed
    Forgiving, easy to sail
    Capsize tendencies
    Difficulty to righting
    Easy to single-handed
    Strength, tendency to damage , Reliability
    Possibility costal cruising, not only very close to the beach
Thank you very much, looking forward to chose the right cat and enjoy the seas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like you should find yourself a Hobie Getaway. By far the most hull volume to take out all your friends, the most indestructible, least likely to capsize, yet still fast enough for everyone aboard to get the thrill of sailing a beach cat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOLA sailor wrote:
Sounds like you should find yourself a Hobie Getaway. By far the most hull volume to take out all your friends, the most indestructible, least likely to capsize, yet still fast enough for everyone aboard to get the thrill of sailing a beach cat.

Thanks, I'll look for it, but so far i never found one ad in my area, here i find plenty of h16, and hc14, 18 and several Tiger, that's pretty much it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe a Hobie Pearl? It's basically a detuned Tiger. It has centerboards instead of daggerboards, and roller-furling jib and spinnaker.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Smofa wrote:
Maybe a Hobie Pearl? It's basically a detuned Tiger. It has centerboards instead of daggerboards, and roller-furling jib and spinnaker.

I don't know if it's a luck or not but here in Italy the choice on the second hand market is very limited.
In my price range 3-4k€ the only 18 feet available are hc18 and Tiger.
Now i have 2 main questions about the differences between these 2 cats:
For both the ideal crew is 2 people, but how do they handle 4 people on board? Is one better than the other?
I've read that the Tiger has better performances in all wind forces and all directions, but this difference is more noticeable in light winds, is the hc18 a slug in the 5/8 knots range?
Thanks for the hints

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 18 is pretty much a tank compared to the Tiger. The Tiger is much faster, but also more fragile. I have never sailed a Tiger with 4 people, so I don't know how well she would handle. The 18 can easily hold 4. For what you are looking for, I would go with the 18. If you find one with wings, you will have more space for friends (although I would still not put more than 4 people on the boat in anything but a drifter).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOLA sailor wrote:
The 18 is pretty much a tank compared to the Tiger. The Tiger is much faster, but also more fragile. I have never sailed a Tiger with 4 people, so I don't know how well she would handle. The 18 can easily hold 4. For what you are looking for, I would go with the 18. If you find one with wings, you will have more space for friends (although I would still not put more than 4 people on the boat in anything but a drifter).

ok Nola, i found a '92 hc18 with wings with many new parts for 3900€, bit expensive but it's the only one with wings and it has many original new Hobiecat parts, so i go for that, bit less performance and more space and confort.
Thanks!