Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 12 Monocat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

For sale near me is a 73' Monocat that seems to be in decent shape. The guy wants $400 and I'm considering going to take a look. I'd like to take anyone's opinion on the purchase of the boat. I have a beat up old H17 that I'm getting ready to sell, and I have been wanting to downsize to something in the sunfish category, and this little monocat fits the bill. It looks fun but maybe not fast. I really just want something that I can haul around easy and doesn't require crew to set up (the 17 is so heavy and stepping the mast is not fun solo). I had my fun with the 17 but its the jib-less pleb version so it can't tack worth a flip (or at least im not good enough). The sail for my 17 is TOAST and a new, solid white sail (ew) costs 3x what I paid for the whole boat (coincidentally also $400). The hulls are disintegrating and the PO filled them with expanding foam (the heavy stuff, not polystyrene like the monocat). I don't need to go fast, otherwise I'd get a 16, I just want a little boat I can throw in the back of my truck and take with me everywhere, and something easy to set up and sail. My 17 performed like a pontoon propelled by a t-shirt so almost anything will be an upgrade. I also like the fact of not having a trailer.

I've done a little research and am aware of the waterlogging issue. If I go look at this boat and its excessively heavy or waterlogged, or otherwise not in great shape, I'm gonna pass. After having the 17 I'm not getting another project boat.

If anyone has any advice on the Monocat, like what its like to sail one and if you think its the type of boat I'm looking for, I'd much appreciate the input. I'm not super experienced with sailing small boats, nor am I ready for the shear jaw-dropping speed and raw power of a 16, but I know my way in the water and me and the 17 participated in a few races (dead last in all of them). I'd buy a sunfish but they're so dang expensive for so little boat, and popular too so they are hard to find.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hobie 12 Monocat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interestingly, I've had 2 H17, a monocat, and a Sunfish (and also a Getaway).

I bought the monocat for my then 14 yo son, but sailed it by myself a few times before turning it over to him. Mine was somewhat waterlogged, weighed, I'll guess, 200#. Easy to rig, fun boat to sail. Much much slower than the 17, of course. The monocat is a little faster than a Sunfish, I think, unless you can get the Sunnie up on plane. I later sailed a Hobie Bravo, felt much the same as the monocat. Something to consider is that parts for the Sunfish are easy to find and relatively cheap (a new sail runs $120 to $300).

I'm surprised at your experience with your 17, it must have been flogged. I think the 17 is one of the faster Hobies, it likes heavy wind and absolutely screams past the 16s and 18s in 20+mph winds, while they try to stay on their feet.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post subject: Re: Hobie 12 Monocat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply dori

Yeah I agree I've heard the 17 is good boat just not as mass produced as the 16 and 18, and of course they're discontinued. I like to go fast but I enjoy just putting around. My problem with the 17 is due to its condition I have little desire to take it out for day trips to the beach, so its just been sitting there collecting dust. :( I think its biggest problem is the worn out sail. Its not the original, its delaminated and lost all the plastic film, is missing a batten, and is probably stretched. I will say when I first bought it 4 years ago me and my cousin took it out in a bay in some 20+ winds and we got that baby to fly a hull. We had no trapeze or wings so we were hanging on for life! It wanted to pitchpole so it was like riding a wheelie, had to hold it just right. Was an absolute blast and I've never had more fun sailing. I think if it just had a good sail AND a jib, the boat would be on par with 16's and 18's. I think I'll still sell it, but I'm open to getting a nicer one in the future. I'm gonna go check out the monocat. It'll at least satisfy my desire until I can get a new cat.