Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting weights
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone give me the approximate minimum crew weights suggested to successfully right a Getaway vs a H18 ? (light air) ....also, is it possible to use a righting pole on a Getaway? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Righting weights
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Never been on a Getaway, but at 195lbs, I cannot right my H18 by myself. I use a 2ft chord with a tennis ball at the end, attached to the top of my mast. Usually a boater will come by to help. The ball wants to float so I have them grab it to lift the mast. If they "hand over hand" their way towards the boat, it will come up easy.
BTW,,,, what are you doing on your side in "light air" ? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Raisehull It's not likely that you would capsize in light winds but for the sake of discussion regarding crew weight this would be a good starting situation since learning to right a cat is safer and more difficult in light wind than moderate or a heavier breeze. If the crew weight is heavy enough to right the boat in light wind, there should be enough to right it in heavier wind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Raisehull, I am 200lbs. Can't raise my H18 by myself but, comes up easily with a righting pole. Try it, it works, even on no wind..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Deleted.

Last edited by JStandish on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JStandish: For the record (so that other forum users aren't mislead), those moment calculations are totally wrong and leave out a lot of important variables. If the mast weight is uniform through its length, then the effective moment exerted by the 60 lb weight would be at one half the length, not the total length. The moment results would be ft-lbs, not lbs. And the calculation does not account for all the other nonlinear weights that aren't over the pivot axis....shrouds, boom, sails, water on sails, etc.

Raisehull: That's a pretty cool idea with the tennis ball. I've had my boat righted by having another boat lift the end of the mast and fling it upward while I was in a normal righting position. It can get a little hairy in lots of wind/waves with both boats drifting and bouncing....always afraid the helper boat will accidentally run over mast/sails with their motor. Doing the hand over hand thing could get ugly while bouncing around, too.

Deejay: I agree with your approach about light air. On our local lake, winds are typically shifty and gusty. It's not unheard of to get knocked down by a gust, then not have enough wind to help get it back up before you drift onto a rip-rapped bank or whatever. It's a good feeling to know it can be done in various conditions, and sometimes it's important to do it quickly. The only really good way to figure out how much weight you need is empirically.....practice righting while adding weight until until it works. If an unacceptable amount of just crew weight is needed, then a righting bag, pole, etc. may be in order.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

the "Hand over Hand" works quite well. They only have to work up (or down I guess) about 5 foot of the mast and it comes up. I just make sure the boat driver knows to Enigine Off, or stay in neutral.