Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deck Port
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I ran into something really hard a couple of weeks ago and smashed up my hull pretty bad.(the board was rammed backwards into the hull) The hull filled up pretty quick ,but I was only a couple of miles offshore and I was able to limp back. I was pretty bummed because I knew it was going to be a pain to fix if even at all. I started working on it last weekend and it was actually pretty easy. I simply cut a hole behind the well layed in a couple pieces of 10oz. tape on the board well and on the inside bottom one layer of 24oz. Biax. On the outside just a couple piecesof 10oz. again and I went ahead and re gel coated both bottoms. My question is should I reglass the deck cut out solid or can I just put in a 6" port?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a pic of the board. I think it was actually a sea turtle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Thomas,
Man, that looks pretty rough, you weren't joking about hiting something hard. I apologize for this being off topic but I was wondering if you guys were going out this weekend. I've managed to loose your number so I apologize contacting you on the forum this way. I'll be in Wilmington this weekend and I still have a bum boat, which is killin me in these windy days we've had lately. If you would contact me at either james060583 @ aol dot com or maybe you still have my number. If you'd let me crew, I'll bring the brew. Take it easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ironic, I hit a turtle that was crossing the road today with my pickup. Didn't do much. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put a port in. You'll get storage and ventilation to dry the hull and access in case you have any future problems.

Someone, a while ago, posted picture of clear ones. West Marine carries them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just missed hitting a Turtle last weekend, flew the dagger right over him. Very nice repair work. I would think glass it over only because a cover would be uncomfortable to sit on. Of course as you sail solo most of the time its not that big of an issue. There may be some lack of integrity if not glassed in as well. That area is one of the first to go soft on 18 decks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A few years ago I put rectangular Bomar hatches in my 21 just aft of the c-board trunks. They are just big enough for small coolers, we love it. We can also work in two of those new style folding chairs and my tackle box. The 18 might not have the depth for the chairs but you'll love the added storage. It clears up the deck nicely, we hardly use the tramp bag anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just went ahead and put in a port today. I dug out the foam about an inch back everywhere and filled with thickened resin. As soon as I put the port in I did think about it might get in the way of me sitting down. I can always reglass. . Ncmbm if you see a turtle with a chipped shell in Myrtle tell him Im sorry 8) James I have your number and will phone you tomorrow. I will warn you now there is a good reason I only singlehand :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What the hell is that from!?

Would you mind posting a pick of your finished port? I'd also like to know where you bought your port from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That looks suspiciously like the aftermath of a stuffed leward bow and an arial trip around the boat abbreviated by a shroud or headstay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is the Thomas we know and love! He sails one way: Trapped out and vertical! Keep rockin Wrightsville!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Beachboy wrote:
That looks suspiciously like the aftermath of a stuffed leward bow and an arial trip around the boat abbreviated by a shroud or headstay.

And on port tack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Starboard Tack actually . It was when I first got my 18 and did not realize it is was not safe to sail with the wings on in the ocean. That was what I would call "Dip a wing" Basically the same as stuffing the bow . Doc I will take a pic of the port tomorrow.Buzz this is a pic someone else took of me you and Danny on our way out last time you where here(Thanksgiving?)