Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the new, more powerful, output of the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103, combined with their silent (direct drive) re-design, I thought I would try to install one on my Hobie Wave. A similar mount would probably work with any Hobie cat. I started with a Cheata crossbar mount, then used two pieces of angle aluminum to bolt down the Torqeedo bracket that would normally sit on the back deck of the kayak.

It worked out great, as long as one is OK with exchanging the usual outboard "head" for a battery mounted in the centre of the tramp. I like having the throttle and range/output display ahead of me, mounted onto the hinged lid of the battery box, which is tied onto the tramp lacing to secure everything in place.

The benefits appear to be a reduction in the overall weighted load, a reduction in the length of the loaded lever arm, and increased clearance from the water surface when not being used. It retracts to full horizontal and doesn't interfere with the traveler or the rudder controls. Because I have no need to steer with the propulsion unit, I locked it into centre position and then just steer with the rudders.

Anyway ... for anyone interested, here is a link to a photo album showing the install, and the unit being used on one of our all-too-frequent windless days up here in the Pacific North West:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/baJeeHotEhcc4Gco7

Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 AC (not linked to them in any way): https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/ultralight/ultralight-1103-ac/1408-00.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice setup, I like it.