Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am currently looking at a 1999 H16 for listed for sale. The gentleman wants $5,000 - $5,500. After speaking with him on the phone, he explained that everything (sails, rudders, tramp, rigging, traps) has been replaced within the past year. Recreational sailing no racing. This price includes a trailer that has new tires and the wheel bearings replaced. Hulls have some small chips that could be done with an at-home gelcoat repair. Hulls are solid and do not have soft spots. When looking at the pictures he even put the new-style decals on the sides of the hulls. Could easily mistake this boat for something brand new or a few years old. Is this price range reasonable? Unfortunately I am not located anywhere near areas where sailing is very popular, so the supply of boats around here is very scarce. I do have plenty of sailing experience, but this is my first boat purchase. My dad is the one who introduced me to sailing and owned his own H16 in the 80s. I am trying to find my own so that he and I can go experience one together, but I just want to make sure I am not over paying. Thanks and appreciate any advice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It all depends on condition of the boat and supply/demand in your area. $5,500 seems a bit pricey to me for a 23 year old Hobie unless the boat is very lightly used and in pristine condition. There’s only so much that can be deduced from pictures, you won’t know for sure until you see the boat in person. I recommend looking at the serial number to confirm it is in fact a 1999 boat. Also, were the sails, rudders, and tramp replaced with OEM parts or aftermarket?

sm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe OEM. Rudders he said were EPO I think. Supply around here is severely limited. I’ll be driving 3 hours one way just to look at the boat in person.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

6hrs round trip, plus a couple to look it over, sounds cheap compared to a couple grsnd in a season or 2. try to bring someone that knows these boats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you end up getting it?