Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, new here and not native english so please apologize for any error.

I have just got a ( similar ) hobie 14. It's an italian replica build around '80 but very very similar to HC 14 and HC 16.
I would like to have an anti-turtle device but Hobie bob seems a bit overkill to me ( for the price ) being that I need to heavly modify the wy it attach to th mast..
I was thinking to get one of those "DryBag swimming tow float " like this ( as example ) https://www.northcoastwetsuits.co.uk/product/15l-roll-top-inflatable-tow-float-dry-bag-100-waterproof-lightweight-for-open-water-swimming-and-more/ that I would use as cushion when sailing in low wind, and when sailing in medium to high wind, when there is the risk of capsize tie it to a rope that would go to a block on the mast head ( just like a second halyard but at the external of the mast head ) so I can, pulling the rope, send it to the top of mast in case of capsize.

These bags are anywhere between 15 and 30L so there should be enough flotation capability in it.

I'm not sure I've been able to explain , but in case I've succeded, what do you think ?

Could it works ?

Thanks in advance

Pigi_102

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pigi_102 wrote:
Hello all, new here and not native english so please apologize for any error.

I have just got a ( similar ) hobie 14. It's an italian replica build around '80 but very very similar to HC 14 and HC 16.
I would like to have an anti-turtle device but Hobie bob seems a bit overkill to me ( for the price ) being that I need to heavly modify the wy it attach to th mast..
I was thinking to get one of those "DryBag swimming tow float " like this ( as example ) https://www.northcoastwetsuits.co.uk/product/15l-roll-top-inflatable-tow-float-dry-bag-100-waterproof-lightweight-for-open-water-swimming-and-more/ that I would use as cushion when sailing in low wind, and when sailing in medium to high wind, when there is the risk of capsize tie it to a rope that would go to a block on the mast head ( just like a second halyard but at the external of the mast head ) so I can, pulling the rope, send it to the top of mast in case of capsize.

These bags are anywhere between 15 and 30L so there should be enough flotation capability in it.

I'm not sure I've been able to explain , but in case I've succeded, what do you think ?

Could it works ?

Thanks in advance

Pigi_102

I think that it would work just fine….I grew up sailing Hobies in the late ‘70’s. Back then my Dad would attach a spare life jacket to the mast and main halyard. It worked perfect to keep our H14 from “turtling” so I could swim it around and right it. Later when I saw Hobie was selling the mast top float, I chuckled and thought someone just copied and improved my Dad’s idea. :lol: Sailors have always been known for ingenuity…. I mean look at how Alter started in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@maxwellmark thank you very much. I didn't think at a life jacket, but it could also be easier !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple of gallon plastic jugs tied to the shackle of the main halyard with a loop of line will work. Cheap and easy.