Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resin Rudder Repair
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, I would appreciate any advice on this subject. I just bought a Hobie 14 and my rudder broke. Well actually, there was a repair done on it that I did not notice because it was covered by the 'upper bracket' (sorry I don't know the official name). Anyway. The corner is broken off and it goes right through the bolt hold too where it has broken. The rudders are made of resin, I actually think they may be the original ones that came with my boat.

The piece that broke off is not made of resin, but wood instead. How can I fix my ruders and avoid paying for a new one, or should I just buy one, and if yes, where is the best and cheapest place to do it.

Any responses would be incredibly appreciated, thank you so much.

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would be the upper rudder casting.

It sounds like the previous owner did a poor job of trying to repair the rudder. From your description it sounds like you've got the original plastic rudders. They do not lend themselves to repair. It'll cost you some money but you'll be much happier with a new rudder. The EPOs are highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Rudders come up on eBay all the time.

There are several types:

Oldest are made of ABS plastic. They get brittle over time. They yellow in the sun. This is probably what you have.

Next oldest are made of Lexan. Durable as hell, but heavy and flexible. Flex=bad. They are a milky white, but they too turn yellow in the sun.

Then came EPO's - epoxy fiberglass with a foam core. Very light, very stiff. Black with an "EPO" sticker by the upper casting. Highly desirable, they haven't been made in nearly 20 years. Most are beginning to show their age.

Racer rudders - polyester fiberglass. As stiff as EPO's, but the finish wasn't as hard. Available in black and white.

PCG Plastic - black, similar to Lexan. Heavy and flexible.

EPO2's - a new take on the original EPO. Carbon/Epoxy, Carbon/Kevlar/Epoxy or Polyester/Fiberglass. Light, stiff and expensive ($250 each).

Along the way, there have been a number of aftermarket rudder mfg. Most are polyester fiberglass, but I hear there's a guy in Brazil that's still making wooden rudders that are absolute works of art.

Bottom line: you should be able to replace your rudder for less than $75.