Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am planning to tow a Getaway with a 2003 Windstar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Fodder,

Do we know each other by any chance, have you sailed with fleet 48 in the last 2 seasons?

I live in the NE heights and joined the fleet last year after buying my h16. We were at most of the events last year but have only been able to make 2 event this year.

BTW, I tow with a 93 f150 ext cab 4x4 that really could use an overhaul

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To those of you that don't know, never use O/D when towing, especially on an incline.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about with my or some of the the other vehicles. My V8 explorer hardly notices the trailor behind it. Do I need to be not using O/D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gree2056 wrote:
What about with my or some of the the other vehicles. My V8 explorer hardly notices the trailor behind it. Do I need to be not using O/D?

Even the slight weight of a hobie is drag on a transmission, O/D should be turned off to avoid excessive wear. Its better to rev and engine then dog a transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I learned that very thing the hard way. Double stacked on my trailex with a 14 and a 16 pulled behind my FULL size chevy conversion van. I toasted the tranny in Memphis coming back from MWE and spent 2 days there while I waited for Monday to come and get another. No OD is a good practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1990 Jeep Wrangler. Pullin the 20 i get around 10 mpg but i wouldn't have it any other way. Barely even notice the 14 back there.

20 crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Banzilla wrote:
Hey Fodder,

Do we know each other by any chance, have you sailed with fleet 48 in the last 2 seasons?

I live in the NE heights and joined the fleet last year after buying my h16. We were at most of the events last year but have only been able to make 2 event this year.

BTW, I tow with a 93 f150 ext cab 4x4 that really could use an overhaul

Sam

Afraid not Banzilla. I was brining my Hobie back from Cortez via Albuquerque (where my sister lives at Guadalupe Tr and Chavez, so if you saw a boat sitting in a yard near there... it was mine) when my transmission crapped out and boiled over. That's not a good sign - it ran fine but it was just a matter of time since it over heated OVER and OVER.

Thus, I am not allowed to tow since I just spent $2500 repairing the transmission and I fear doing so would void the warranty. Taurus has a WEAK transmission and the Ford dealer told me, and I quote: "Sure the manual says 1800 lbs. And you can tow 1800 lbs. So long as you do not mind replacing the transmission when you do." So I'm terrified.

What does a Hobie 18 with a steel box-tube trailer, cat box, and goodies weigh? The trailer is not the conventional hobie trailer, it has leaf springs and a 4' tongue on it. The boat tramp sits probably 3-4 feet off the ground.

If I do convince my wife to let me tow with the Taurus - OD off, I understand that. What would reasonable speed restrictions be? Tranny cooler or not?

Thanks for the help, I'm kinda in a tight spot here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't worry about the speed as much as the RPM. If you have a tac, it helps quite a bit to see where you are sitting and avoid the red-line. The cats really don't weigh much, I'd venture to say you would need to toss a dead horse on your tramp to break 1000 #s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2005 Chevy Avalanche

I don't use the Tow/Haul when I'm pulling my H16. Pulling that thing has less added weight than throwing two adults in the back seat. Pulling anything else though, I turn on Tow/Haul (which really just changes when your truck shifts and turns overdrive off).

The truck has a transmission cooler and a towing package on it, so if I'm just pulling a Hobie I should be ok.

1984 H16 - #80541

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually stack a 16 on top of my hobie 20 to go to regattas, as my son races the 16. I pull this huge rig with my 2000 Isuzu Amigo 2dr. sport. Now, the funny thing is, the boats and trailer are much longer than my car, so its pretty comical looking at the rig going down the road. The Amigo has a good sized V6, so its no trouble getting it to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cannon_fodder wrote:
If I do convince my wife to let me tow with the Taurus - OD off, I understand that. What would reasonable speed restrictions be? Tranny cooler or not?

Thanks for the help, I'm kinda in a tight spot here.

I think I would add the tranny cooler, it should not be very expensive and should take care of most if not all of the heat issues.

for the right price, I would be happy to bring you your boat :)

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would have been SO happy to take you on that offer 2 weeks ago. Alas, I went, blew my tranny, went back and got my boat and car.

So I now have a working car and a boat in Tulsa.

But thanks for the offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cannon, where are you? I am pretty close to Tulsa, well two hours... but if you are in Oklahoma we should me up for a sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cannon_fodder wrote:
I would have been SO happy to take you on that offer 2 weeks ago. Alas, I went, blew my tranny, went back and got my boat and car.

So I now have a working car and a boat in Tulsa.

But thanks for the offer.

Well, if you are ever in Abq again, and We have not Moved to San Diego (or some point west of here) look us up.

Sam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next