Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,

I've got a H17 but live in MN where the sailing season is short. Someday I'd love to take a vacation elsewhere (especially to someplace warm in winter) and rent a Hobie? Anyone have any suggestions?

thx

Fleet 444

Post subject: Rentals?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Admin

San Diego...

Mission Bay, San Diego. Great sailing conditions and tons of rental options.

On the Bay:

Campland, Hilton, Paradise Point, Islandia, Bahia, Catamaran hotels all rent. Also Mission Bay Sport center.

Most have the Hobie Wave and Getaway. Some have Hobie 16s.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Hobie rentals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First the good news, yes there are folks that rent out Hobies.
The bad news is that if the surf if up, no one will rent. No matter how experienced you are, we all know that if a boat gets turned sideways in the surf, there is a good chance that the mast will go 'goodbye'.

Don't brag about your sailing resume, or your 'war stories' of being out in 25 kt winds, that will scare most rental operators. They are tired of wild & crazy guys trying to pitchpole a Hobie 'so that the girlfriend falls into the water and has to be saved from the sharks.' Don't even think of using the words 'hiking out'. That frightens them even more. Just be cool and relaxed, like most Floridians.

Ft Lauderdale - South end. Some guy rents out Waves, but I did not like the operation due to poor maintenance issues. Hope he has had a chance to fix things. Fleet ??? races every Sunday at around noon.

North Miami Beach, around Bar Harbour: I can't remember exactly, but I think it is the Marriott or the Hyatt, at the beach sports complex, they have a couple of Wave's and some guy has a newish H16.

Miami - at the Causeway. I've been told there are rentals there, haven't been that far south in years. (We visit my m-in-law in Deerfield Beach.)

Pompano - a guy called John rents mostly jet ski's, but also has a Wave, a Getaway and an old H16. Mostly, he will only rent if the wind is from the East. I think the timeshare hotel that he works out of is called Sea Gardens.

Hollywood - maybe six years ago, I rented a Prindle (skippered) from a fireman. Looks like he spends his off days on the beach, renting his own cat. We had fun though.

Delray Beach, south end. Chuck's Water Sports. Good guys. Getaways, Waves, kayaks, palm trees, benches, good company. They mumbled something about getting into Tigers for 2007-08. Any comment, Hank M? (Hank McDowell is the local Hobie dealer, and he knows simply everybody. Nautical Ventures, 750 Sample Rd, off Dixie, in Ft L.)

Delray Beach, north end. No rentals that I know of, but all the locals who sail off the beach park their cats here. There's always someone around with whom to shoot the breeze, like Nacra sailor Elias. I think he must live there.

Hutchison Island - a little sail club had a H16 for rent, but were too busy giving lessons to teenagers to help me out.

Naples - couple of beach operators, from the hotel run resorts, usually Waves or Getaways. Same for Tampa and especially at Clearwater. You won't get higher powered cats than those in most places.

Anyone else care to add to the list? I'm booked for two weeks in December, first week in Deerfield, second in Palm Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use to live in Melbourne FL just south of Cocoa. When I lived there I rented Hobie Waves and Getaways from "Performance Sail & Sport"

www.perfsail.com

He has H16 and H18 there also but I don't think he rents them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

riviera maya - many resorts have them available for free rentals, this time of year you can do a week for 2 around 1500.00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm with Matt on this. Look up vacation rentals on Mission Bay, get yourself a nice condo on South Mission bay and you are almost within walking distance from Mission Bay Sport center. I rented a Prindle a few years back, had a great time, dumped my than 14 year old daughter in the bay :). As I remember, they just did not want the boat out on the ocean.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think we're planning a trip to MWE for 08'. I'm with you on it being nice to get away for a few days and do some sailing in the dead of winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

West Maui

Waves, two Getaways, one 16.

Hyatt's boats are trash. The also dismasted their 50' tour boat that later sunk.

Post subject: pensacola beach
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just spent a week renting from

www.keysailing.com Pensacola Beach

Capt. Kirk runs a good operation. Rents Getaways and Waves. Nice Nacras are for sale.

Had enough wind two days to make the Getaway go. Santa Rosa Sound is great for sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where can you go for a vacation in the winter that you can tow your own Hobie and put it in and sail???

Someplace with easy beach access and a lodging nearby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Join us in San Diego on New Year's Day. San Diego Yacht Club runs a fun race that is a great way to start off the New Year. Wet suits may be nice but not really required. I have raced this in shorts and a spray top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sunjammers in Panama City, and Key Sailing in Pensacola, FL. Kirk's rentals come with a free Coors Light. Right Brad?

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!