Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rentals in New Zealand?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We may be going to New Zealand for four months.

Where can I rent a beach cat? :?:

What is the best time of year? We will probably be on the north island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure of many places but we were in the Bay of Islands (near the top of the North Island) last year and there were some cats for hire from the beach at Russell, which is the oldest town in New Zealand and the site of the first New Zealand Parliament. Can't remember what they were but from memory they were Prindles/Buffalo/Windrushes, probably about 14' long.

If you know where you are going there is a website http://www.hobiecat.org.nz/ which is the NZ hobie cat association website which might be of some help, with listings of all the clubs around New Zealand. Contacts at each clubn will be able to help you.

There's several of us Kiwi's in the board, one in Marlborough (top of the South Island - beautiful place - do visit it), another in Gisborne (that's me), and I have noticed one or two others. Call in if you are coming to Gisborne - a long way from anywhere but nice and remote and one of the hottest parts in New Zealand (not always but often).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Best time of year for sailing is from November (chilly but gusty north-westerly usually has settled down by mid-Nov) till about May. East cost is more protected and flatter for sailing than west coast. Westerly is prevailing wind and sweeps across lots of ocean before it hits us. Lake Taupo should have hire cats too - biggest lake in New Zealnd. Other lakes around Rotorua are awesome for sailing as well. Not too sure about south Island - would imagine in the height of summer you could hire boats around Queenstown/Wanaka - beautiful lakes and awesome scenery there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanting to update this post... looks like nobody ever answered the question.

I've seen Hobie Bravos/Waves and possibly Getaways for rent in Tauranga along Pilot Bay (near Mt. Maunganui). Business name is Mt. Kats and Yaks. I launch my 16 there when I go on weekend trips to Tauranga. Nice trailer parking and a good venue.

Russell in the Bay of islands has a rental place as well. Russell is a great place to sail. You can see the guy's boats on street view sitting on the beach. http://www.russellboatandbikehire.co.nz/ I'll be towing my boat to Russell next public holiday weekend to sail those waters and island hop.

In Auckland there is a company as well, but I've never worked with them because I sail with the local guys instead. http://www.meltemibeachcats.co.nz/

Auckland fleet sails out of Manly Sailing club a bit North of Auckland. Other cities are mainly older boats for just cruising, you can find them in people's backyards and lying around on various beaches across the country.