Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, what happens if you 'build' a boat, from scratch (ie wood, fiberglass), you can't sail in Tx? It HAS to be sold titled from a dealer? Wow.

2007 Hobie Wave

Last edited by wannahobie on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why don't you "sell" it with a bill of sale to someone in a state that will make a title for it and then "buy" it back?

I'm pretty sure someone here has done that before.

1984 H16 - #80541

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Give me a state and a name. Please! I'm having the same problem in Florida. FL even has a law that you can "salvage" a boat by but I can't get the local sheriff to do it even after presenting him with a copy of the law!

I sail it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its really ashamed TP@WD has to be such a PIA on an issue like this. I was amazed at the fistful of paperwork I had to take with me for a title transfer and whatnot to the TP@W to get my newly purchased Hobie in my name. To top it off they acted as if I was wasting their precious time and charged me $130 to boot......and that was with one year left on the registration!! :evil: GGGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah... The boat registration is the polar opposite of the trailer registration. The motor vehicle people want to know if it's got tires, lights and how much weight it carries. They could care less about who built it. A bill of sale on a napkin is good enough.

Crazy....

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I need your help.

I got a call from a very seious buyer. I've informed them that the boat has no title. AND, that the local TP&W department said there was no way for me to get a title. The guy said he knows of ways to get around it.

He's ready to come by, drop off the money, and drive home with it. I just DO NOT want him coming back in 3 months telling me he wants his money bcak because it can't be titled.

I'm not sure what to do. I was already looking at ways to part the boat and and just keeping the trailer to help absorb the losses....but if I could sell it all and have it actually get used by someone who has the means I'd really like that.

I just know this could end up bad for me if this guy takes the boat, has it taken away from him because he sails it without a title or whatever..and he comes back to me for money. The add I made specifically states there is no title..and that I'm selling it as a parts boat..but I have no idea how well that will hold up if something bad happens.

He looks at the boat Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

First off, I'm not a lawyer.

Sell him a paddle or something else for the selling price less $1.00. Then sell him the boat for $1.00. Write up a bill of sale ( or Sail ) and have it signed and notarized. If he comes back he gets $1.00 and you part out the boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am no lawyer either, but if you have documentation that you sold this boat as a 'parts boat' w/ no title, sold as is, where is, etc, he would have no right to come back to you. You stated the facts, and legally you should be protected.
Anyone else agree?

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well. Someone bought the boat without title. We did a bill of sale and someone got a hell of a deal on a great boat. I'm almost upset that it sold, but I know it would have been a lot of trouble to part it out myself..or to try to get a title.

So now I'm on the search. That was a nice boost to my new boat fund though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just recently bought a boat from maryland no title for boat but trailer had title, Had to get a notorized bill of sale and a notirized form confirming hull id numbers. It was a pain in *#s, took us a month and a half to get a title.

good luck

Post subject: title..
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same problem up here in utah with an 86 h-16,
The DMV officer sliped saying to bad your boat is not from AZ they don't require titles on these before (I think it was 1990 or so not sure).
So I came back the next day and went to a new window and said I bought this Arizona. ANd presto, a utah isued title came in a few days. Titles are not required in utah on hobies older than 1983..

So what state did your previos owner move from Utah or Arizona??

Post subject: Boat Titles
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased my H18 in 1985 .... no title for boat only the trailer here in Pennsylvania.

I've other boats and will have more hopefully, but she is the boat I love the most ... through thick and thin she has always brought me home safely ( even one night in The Down the Bay when the backdoor front dropped through w/ gust of > +43mph!!!) Mostlikely I'll still have her when I die ... I'm going to leave instructions to place me on-board ... pile her high w/ wood and send me out to sea ... Just like in the movie "The Vikings"....

So screw the bureaucrats and their silly requirements ...

I'm surprised that "Texican's" would tolerate such nonsense!!!

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11