Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pylon Water Drainage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

4 Questions. On my Hobie 16, I have removed all of the top pylon plugs and I am performing this test with my two detached hulls and a garden hose. I see where the forward pylons have drain holes drilled in them. My forward starboard pylon holds about a pint of water before it drains thru the drain hole and into the starboard hull. My forward port pylon holds no water, because the water never reaches the drain hole. It is leaking where the forward port pylon is set into the epoxy base and therefore the water leaks directly into the port hull and not thru the drain hole. #1: Should I re-seal the epoxy base so the forward port pylon holds the same amount of water as the forward starboard pylon?
Also, both my aft pylons hold no water and I see no drain holes, although I do see foam base plugs at the base of the aft pylons. #2: Should water drain freely thru the aft pylons and into the hulls? What is the purpose of the foam plugs at the base of the aft pylons? #3: As I am installing new top plugs in all of the pylons, should these foam plugs at the the base of the aft pylons be replaced as well, and if so, are they the same part number at the top plugs? #4: Lastly, am I correct that the forward pylons are not designed to have base plugs like the aft pylons?

Post subject: Re: Pylon Water Drainage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will probably get better answers by posting in the Help With Repairs forum. I'm not sure that I exactly understand all of your questions, but here goes.....

The upper plugs are there to keep water from getting into the hulls, period. If they are leaking, they should be replaced/sealed, except......The holes in the front pylon plugs had tubes in them at one time. These tubes aren't for drainage, but for hull ventilation, so don't seal them. (Along with removal of the transom drain plugs, this is all the hull ventilation there is on a stock H16.) Any water on top of these plugs is of no concern, and very little if any water can get into the hulls through the vent tubes during normal operation. If you have water getting into your hulls, search for bubble leak test in the Help With Repairs forum. These pix may also help....https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g ... 5a21aacfb0

The "plugs" at the pylon base are actually pylon shoes that are glassed into the inside of the keels. See the last two pix linked above, These shoes are structural and have nothing to do with drainage.

Hope this helps!