Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone interested in circumnavigating the eastern 1/2 of Port Stephens in the next few weeks. I'm back at work on the 13th and would like to get in an overnighter before I go back. I'm flexible with the date at this stage. I was thinking of camping somewhere on the sand island at the mouth of the Myall River on the northern side. Can't lock in an actual spot yet without knowing a date and weather predictions. Should be an easy relaxing 2 day trip of 32k's. Everyone welcome.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wild horses couldn't stop me! Just let me know when and I am there! I reckon I can rustle up a few others as well (keeping the equine theme going 8) )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a great area and perfect for Island sailing. We've been there a number of times and explored most of the region, but I'd be keen to go back. Never overnighted there but that sand island area you mentioned at the tip of Winda Woppa would be a good choice. It's probably the least visited area, though a lot of boats cut through the channel, so mooring lights would be a must. I'm not on holidays but I could do an overnighter, preferably on 2/1, 3/1, 4/1. If that doesn't suit then the 5/1, 6/1, 7/1 would also be possible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about us non-liveaboards? ( :D ) I assume if we set up a tent and drag our Islands up on the sand we won't need mooring lights.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This sounds like a plan is coming together. I'll give you a ring Stringy. As I said, I'm flexible with time and spots. If we decide the weather is OK to go outside, I'm up for it. My wife and I caught a ferry to Tea Gardens a year ago and that sand island at the mouth looked like an ideal spot to camp. I was thinking of making Salamander Bay the launch site ( at the centre of the shot ). Would you launch from here Tony or would you come from the northern side ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would prefer to join in at the common starting point Slaughter.. It is a slightly longer drive, but I wouldn't want to miss a minute. SDo far I think I also have three others coming (2 x TI, 1 x AI), subject to when.

Edit. On second thoughts, I would be better to drive to Pindimar very early on day 1, and sail the 6km to Salamander Bay, and save about 80 road miles from the round trip, and then sail back at the end of day 2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well if we set a date for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Jan, that seems to suit everyone. Now I was probably only planning on staying the 1 night ( 2nd, Thursday night ) but now that I see that P14WD is planning to be up from Melbourne on the 4th, Saturday, I may stay an extra night to catch up. How does that sound with everyone ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds good to me. I should be able to get up there by about 10am 2/1. I could stay till 5/1.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, so it would seem to make sense to slightly move the "event" to starting on Friday 3rd January, overnighting,and continuing on Saturday 4th. Would that fit better with Ian's (P14WD) travel arrangements?

As I mentioned, I (and my mate Bazza) are thinking of driving to Pindimar South, launching there and sailing the 6km across to Salamander Bay to meet up with everybody. However, how does the overnight stop at the sand island near Tea Gardens/Hawk Nest fit with Ian's booked accommodation?

Whatever is decded, the sooner we can lock it in the better chance of getting others to join us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spoke with Ian and Doris who are up there at present. They will probably stay at their current location at night but meet us for day trips. All sounds great. I'll plan to be up there at 10am on the 2nd as well Stringy, and I'll be staying until the 4th. Does that suit with you Tony. I'll have the phone so when you get to the other side, give us a ring and we can arrange a meeting spot. The sand Island still sounds pretty good as the proposed campsite ( remember the long tent pegs ) but there may be a crowd that may change plans. How does the launch site suit ? It's at the intersection of Foreshore Drive and Cook St. Ian and Doris will join us on the 2nd for a sail as well and wouldn't mind doing a sail out through the heads and down to Fingal Bay and return at some time if the weather and timing suits.

Wotcha reckon !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds tops. My only problem is knowing where to sleep on Thursday night. I don't have the benefit of onboard accommodation. I guess I could sdleep in my wagon (it would be the same mattress after all LOL) Bazza can't make it, but Nigel Lymbury (new TI owner from Maitland) sounds extemely keen, but doesn't have camping gear yet (but might have got some since I spoke to him)

No matter what, I will be at whatever meeting point you nominate by sparrow's on Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Folks we have just discovered a major problem. We were out today and when we returned we found a significant amount of water in our starboard ama. I also noticed some water in there after the previous trip - but then being a Newby I just thought that may have been normal or that the bung was not tight enough. However this evening I was suspicious and removed the ama to find to my horror that the forward tube for the aka had a large tear down its length. Hence the source of the leak.
I've now taken a look at the aka knuckles and there seems to be a lot of play and obvious wear. This is after only 3 times out in the boat!
Have you heard of such a problem?
Ill need to contact my dealer as soon as they open after new year to find out what can be done before or whole holiday is ruined.
Really disappointed. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds good Tony. See that small beach on the mainland NE of Boondaba Is. which is just north of Soldiers point. It's about 20m long. That looks ( on Google Earth ) to be a top camp spot. We have got all day to find a spot. And if locations look a bit suss, even with tents we don't have to erect anything until nightfall.

Ian - Ahhh. Never heard of that issue at all with Amas. It sounds like a definite warranty claim. Without seeing it, I doubt that the play in the knuckle joint contributes to the problem. They are designed to have play. How much yours has, I don't know. Here is a thread that I'm sure will help. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=49016&p=219354&hilit=play+knuckle#p219354 James at Belmont is the closest and I don't know what they can do at short notice. You could be in luck. If he doesn't have a replacement straight away, could you possibly borrow one so that the holiday isn't spent playing Scrabble.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bummer. I wonder if some waterproof adhesive tape might at least get you through till the end of your holiday. http://www.bunnings.com.au/waterproofin ... a_p0960178

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ian,
If the play is where the aka fits into the knuckle, then I wouldn't be too concerned. We had looose knuckles for months before I fixed them with Sikaflex and new rivets. The SS rivets can be loose but they are very strong in shear.
Re the ama ...I can loan you one of my TI ama so that your holiday can continue. We won't be needing it in the next 2 weeks. I can bring it up with me tomorrow if you like. Slaughter has my number. Ring me after lunch today if that suits.