Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apostle Islands, WI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone have experience camping or kayaking in the area? We are heading up to check the lay of the land and lake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Apostle Islands, WI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,

We live in Bayfield County and kayak our tandem island(s) in the Apostle Islands a few times each week. 22 islands in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore -- all but 3 have wilderness designation.

Meyers Beach (Cornucopia) and Little Sand Bay are the most common kayak launch/take outs. Meyers Beach is a 2-story stairway down to the beach leading to the mainland sea caves -- so we typically launch at Little Sand Bay. Bayfield is where the A.I. Park Service HQ is located and also very popular for launch/take out. Bayfield and the adjacent Madeline Island are open for business--look there for after hours or tourist hanging out. Fish tacos at the Beach Club on Madeline Island can be had right at their beachfront landing. Maggies in Bayfield is the favorite lunch/dinner. Cornucopia has fish tacos served on the street on Saturday (and some Friday) nights.

Safely enjoying the lake is the key. We are beginning fall weather patterns now. Wet or Drysuits are mandatory (in my opinion). Surface water temps are mid 60's F, at best and much cooler when wind/currents mix the surface water with the 40 degrees water below. Wind conditions over this large lake can create 2-3 ft (and higher waves) in minutes, not hours.

That said the islands and water quality make for beautiful scenery. These picts are from this past week's outings:

Justice Bay on NE side of Sand Is (across from Little Sand Bay launch)

Sand spit on SE Oak Is (black bears are common - one approached as we had lunch)

Tombolo on SE Stockton Is by Julian Bay

Southern end of Eagle Island (bird sanctuary--no landing May - Sept)

Feel free to message me when you arrive for more specifics and/or a meet-up, should you wish.

Last edited by itiming on Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Apostle Islands, WI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

itiming wrote:
Hello,

We live in Bayfield County and kayak our tandem island(s) in the Apostle Islands a few times each week. 22 islands in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore -- all but 3 have wilderness designation.

Meyers Beach (Cornucopia) and Little Sand Bay are the most common kayak launch/take outs. Meyers Beach is a 2-story stairway down to the beach leading to the mainland sea caves -- so we typically launch at Little Sand Bay. Bayfield is where the A.I. Park Service HQ is located and also very popular for launch/take out. Bayfield and the adjacent Madeline Island are open for business--look there for after hours or tourist hanging out. Fish tacos at the Beach Club on Madeline Island can be had right at their beachfront landing. Maggies in Bayfield is the favorite lunch/dinner. Cornucopia has fish tacos served on the street on Saturday (and some Friday) nights.

Safely enjoying the lake is the key. We are beginning fall weather patterns now. Wet or Drysuits are mandatory (in my opinion). Surface water temps are mid 60's F, at best and much color when wind/currents mix the surface water with the 40 degrees water below. Wind conditions over this large lake can create 2-3 ft (and higher waves) in minutes, not hours.

That said the islands and water quality make for beautiful scenery. These picts are from this past week's outings:

Justice Bay on NE side of Sand Is (across from Little Sand Bay launch)

Sand spit on SE Oak Is (black bears are common - one approached as we had lunch)

Tombolo on SE Stockton Is by Julian Bay

Southern end of Eagle Island (bird sanctuary--no landing May - Sept)

Feel free to message me when you arrive for more specifics and/or a meet-up, should you wish.

Thanks for all the info and insights. We just got back to the twin cities after driving a loop from Bayfield to Cornucopia with stops at Red Cliff and Little Sand Bay. Making plans for a mainland based weekend soon.