Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm putting together a kayamping trip for 2017. All are welcome and we got a couple extra yaks if anyone needs one. It will be 7 days and nights on the Tahquamenon River in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula. We are still patterning the weather but as of now we plan on leaving September 1, 2017 and we will head home on Sept. 8 or 9. This will be me and my friend Dustins second time doing this and it was an amazing experience. 47 miles from Newberry to the falls. We have a couple floating coolers if anyone wants to use them. They worked decent for us last time. This year I have a yeti. The Tahquamenon is a black water river, for those that don't know, black water rivers are the closest thing to drinking water there is. We froze some water bottles for ice and drink and filtered the rest. We will be going rain or shine. Last time it rained the first 2 days and part of the third. It wasn't even close to ruining our adventure though. Dustin had rain gear and I had tarps and an umbrella. The mosquitos were fierce. The only time they were a problem is when we first got there and were trying to load the boats up. Spray and Thermocell's did great the rest of the trip. A sickle is highly recommended over a machete. We had a lot of grooming to do to make a site campable one of which may be in a pete bog. We will make 3 to 4 camp sites along the river throughout the week. There are bears here so a large caliper gun or mace is a smart thing to bring. We personally didn't have any encounters. Newberry is also the moose capital of Michigan. For those that don't know, for two weeks during the rut, the moose is the most dangerous animal in north america. Fishing was excellent! There are large and smallmouth bass, walleye, musky and pike. I even caught a tagged walleye while trolling to our next site. When we get to the falls its a lot of fun to fish below them. Dustin actually caught his first musky there. And walking behind the falls made the 116 step stairway twice with our yaks worth it lol. Other than near the falls, the river is wilderness. We didn't see an airplane for 3 days. We didn't see a person for 4. The sky is so dark at night, you can see the stars past the stars. And in our case (due to all the rain) the first few days back in civilization felt weird without the smell of burning birch bark. So if you think this is something you might want to do let me know. The more the merrier. Come share this epic adventure with us.

September 1-9, 2017
Newberry, MI to Paridise, MI
roughly 47 miles

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bump

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards