Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've demo'd several PA's that have the original steering drum but so far haven't tried one with the new drum upgrade. The original steering is very frustrating and has kept me from buying an otherwise perfect fishing machine.

Does the new drum make a significant difference for the better?

Mike K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The larger steering drum definitely makes the rudder less sensitive to small adjustments and, in my opinion, a bit easier to control in a straight line. That said, you do sacrifice the ability to turn on a dime that is available with the smaller drum. My brother kept the original on his PA and I went with the replacement. He can spin like a top from a dead stop. My PA requires a bit more room to make a turn. I tried his PA and found it a little bit squirrelly, but he's used to it and likes it. He doesn't seem to have any trouble going straight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since I fish in the open Gulf of Mexico, I went with the up grade.........and I still have a little problem keeping my PA as straight as I want. I was like a magnetic needle in a pipe yard with the old one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently upgraded to the new larger steering drum and had my first chance to test it this past weekend...It is definitely an improvement over the original...BUT...When it is windy (+10 knots) you still have to keep your hand on the steering mechanism and make constant adjustments. To help make this more comfortable, I repositioned the steering mechanism to the side of the seat, closer to my hip for a more natural resting position for my arm, and removed the knob...Now when I want to turn right I push the lever forward, and to turn left I pull the lever toward me...Repositioning the steering lever to the side of the seat worked better for me because it allows for a more comfortable posture. In other words, no matter what my seat position (fully up or laid back) I never have to stretch my arm to reach the steering lever...And because with the PA, I'm having to make steering corrections frequently so having a more confortable position for the steering lever is more important...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All great positive feedback on the upgrade steering drum. I'm taking mine out next week chunking for stripers . Will give a report once that happens. I'm glad there was an upgrade made,simply cannot wait to see how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm thinking Hobie will come out with a hull mod that tracks a little better for the PA. I'm waiting and will probably own another when it happens. :) What a craft. I can't imagine one that tracks well. Of course that means a larger rudder will be needed to overcome the tendency to "not turn well".... and we'll hear the other side of the complaint. Won't turn... ha.... :? Can't win em all. Love the PA and still awaiting my steering drum upgrade. Guess I'll bug the dealer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

In windy and choppy conditions, just about every boat will be difficult to hold on course without steering adjustment. Especially at slower speeds. Agreed, the PA steering was twitchy, but with the new drum it is vastly improved. Think back to paddling days though... imagine putting down the paddle, lifting the fishing rod, putting down the rod and picking up the paddle for steering adjustments PITA!

Larger rudder? We are limited to the space under the hull.

Better tracking? No other plans on that at the moment. Tracking effects steering ability too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha Matt,

I strictly fish the open ocean and therefore tracking is much more important for me than my ability to turn on a dime. I installed the new drum sometime ago but it is not as accomudating as I would like my tracking capability to be. Do you have a part number or suggested rudder that is bigger that I could install on my PA that might help me improve my tracking capability for the open ocean? If the rudder extends past the back portion of the body that would not be a problem for me.

Either way I love my PA and I wouldn't trade it for any other kayak fishing options currently available today. However if there is a possible solution to help me improve my tracking capability that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

There is no larger rudder made for the PA. There have been others in the forums with ideas to retro fit rudder blades (other models) with a sleeve to make the blade bigger. This was discussed in relation to the original Mirage rudder system and making that blade bigger for sailing. Maybe that would work here?

I couldn't find the reference in the forums.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't want to create another topic so I'll just add to this and hopefully someone sees it. I did the rudder upgrade on my and my wife's PA's. I really like mine, but she has been complaining that it is harder to turn. I just told her to get used to it because that is one of the downfalls to the steering drum upgrade. We have put probably 50hrs on the kayaks since the upgrade, and my rudder was feeling like it was starting to stick. I found the sticking of the rudder comming from the shaft that is attached to the rudder and goes up through the brass tube. I pulled the rudder out and used a light emery cloth and buffed the metal shaft, then used anti-seize as a lubricant. My rudder was much smoother after doing this. I did the same on my wife's kayak, but one thing I noticed is that the larger steering drum seems to rub a little in the hull near the front of the drum causing extra friction. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? And if there was a solution II've thought about trying to bend the shaft a little to get away from the drum rubbing the hull, but didn't want to try to make any modifications until I'm sure what the cause was. Or maybe taking a file to the bottom of the new drum at the 12 O'clock position and shaving the drum down.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

You should also be sure the line tension is adjusted on your wife's boat. Each bit of added friction may be what makes her's harder to steer. The original lines also stick a bit in the tubes. We went back to the spectra used on all other models. I'm surprised to hear that the new drum touches. Can you pull up on it? Maybe add a washer under it?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
You should also be sure the line tension is adjusted on your wife's boat. Each bit of added friction may be what makes her's harder to steer. The original lines also stick a bit in the tubes. We went back to the spectra used on all other models. I'm surprised to hear that the new drum touches. Can you pull up on it? Maybe add a washer under it?

Tension was good, if you are standing at the rear of the kayak looking forward the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions is where it would rub slightly and 12 O'clock was the worse. It was never where the boat was unusable. I did end up adding a very thin SS washer under the drum, and graphiting any part where there is friction even in the control handle itself. We went out for about 4 hrs and she said the boat handles better than ever. The steering is effortless, and so easy to control now. Just have to adjust the line tension on mine now it is slow to turn to the right.
Thank you Matt, and Hobie for your products, and service.

Proud Hobie Owner

Jeremy Meier

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is some helpful info. I wonder if there is a way to know what type of cable is on your ProAngler? I have tried to tighten the cables and remove any freeplay. I have 2 problems with mine. First is the problem of not steering well to the right. I have my control mounted on the left side and the rudder moves about 1/2 as much to the front of the seat as steering to left when the control moves to the side of the seat. Secondly, after I have fished for a couple of hours, the rudder control becomes almost impossible to move! I thought that it must be some sort of friction issue. I have the standard drum and have never considered it a problem of twitchiness or not tracking well. I fish both the Gulf and freshwater.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:05 am 
Site Admin

If you move the handle from one side of the seat to the other, you need to center the rudder by pulling it up. Open the rudder access plate and adjust the lines to center the rudder handle. Use the line tension knob on the bottom side of the rudder handle to adjust line tension.

As the boats cool or heat up they expand / contract. This changes the tension... therefore the knob for adjustments.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt. I have really enjoyed my ProAngler. If you could just get that weight down...!