Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Possible options:
1- Aim for HB Friday Lunch. Camp and leave Sunday. If no exercises stay in Cabin at Currarong so the ocean side could be explored (weather permitting). If exercises on, move to Chris's cabins to use as a base.
2-End the week at HB. What we do beforehand and where would depend on exercises.

1. Ok - looks like we're going to try and go camping - not staying in cabins - right???
2. I think option 1 is the Fri - Sun option and the aim is to camp at HB - right?? Which means there is no need for any cabins anywhere - right???
3. Option 2 is the midweek option ending at HB and what we do and where we stay would be entirely dependant on whether there is a naval exercise or not - right???

I know that doesn't add anything to our plans but I would like to know that I am comprehending correctly :roll:
I get the impression that you may all be going down the hammock road - but if I just do the traditional land tent camping, that should be OK too.
Are there any plans to firm up on dates soon - or are we going to wait and see how Chris is situated? I will try and fit in with any dates nominated. :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm a bit confused too Mickey. As far as I can tell, Stringy and Slaughter won't be using hammocks as it will not be necessary. If we're camping out, I'll probably use my hammock, slung between two trees, since I already have it and prefer it. I'm not sure where the cabins fit into the scheme at this stage. If we're at HB, not at all. If we're at Currarong, I guess they are optional, according to our individual preferences.
I repeat, don't risk having your plans messed up waiting around for me. Firm your dates up and I'll see how I go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Chris,
I was thinking of camping there. Thought it might make a good base and we might as well make use of the weekend availability. :) At least on the weekend we could get around the Beecroft Peninsula safely, weather permitting.
I'd rather camp outdoors than in a cabin if possible.

Agreed by me for what it's worth.

Option 1. Aim for Friday 7th May lunch at HB. And spend 2 nights there as a base camp using land based tents or hammocks. Leave Sunday arvo.

We could probably ......
1. Explore Bowen Island and Murrays Beach on Friday arvo
2. Sail around to Currarong and back to HB on Saturday
3. Sail West from HB and see how far we get Sunday morning.

All those in favor say I......

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
stringy wrote:
Chris,
I was thinking of camping there. Thought it might make a good base and we might as well make use of the weekend availability. :) At least on the weekend we could get around the Beecroft Peninsula safely, weather permitting.
I'd rather camp outdoors than in a cabin if possible.

Agreed by me for what it's worth.

Option 1. Aim for Friday 7th May lunch at HB. And spend 2 nights there as a base camp using land based tents or hammocks. Leave Sunday arvo.

We could probably ......

Slaughter - that sounds like a plan - so I'll say "I" - but I know & understand that ther best laid plans of mice & men may change :shock: But hopefuly I will be able to accommodate that scenario if it eventuates too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:

We could probably ......

I!
I'm in too. Sounds great! :)
Just checking, you have run this past your wife Slaughter! :wink:
Now re the hammocks. Thanks for your info Chris. 8) The Expedition Asym sounds ideal for me. The stainless tube I was thinking of is available from Bias boating and comes in 2m lengths so that is ideal.
Slaughter the 316SS tube is 25mm diameter with a 1.2mm wall. A 22mm tube with a 1.27mm wall telescopes inside. This combination any good?
Bimini tube in aluminium is 25mm with a 1.6mm wall and 22mm with a 1.27mm wall that telescopes inside. Would this also be suitable?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Slaughter wrote:
I!
I'm in too. Sounds great! :)
Just checking, you have run this past your wife Slaughter! :wink:
Now re the hammocks. Thanks for your info Chris. 8) The Expedition Asym sounds ideal for me. The stainless tube I was thinking of is available from Bias boating and comes in 2m lengths so that is ideal.
Slaughter the 316SS tube is 25mm diameter with a 1.2mm wall. A 22mm tube with a 1.27mm wall telescopes inside. This combination any good?
Bimini tube in aluminium is 25mm with a 1.6mm wall and 22mm with a 1.27mm wall that telescopes inside. Would this also be suitable?

All sounding good. My wife has also given me the nod to go.

And with the tube, without searching past posts, you can weld SS but not Aluminium right. I'm thinking that the SS at those sizes should be OK, although sounds a bit slender, but I'll put it in the program tomorrow. You got what I meant with the 'T' attachment design didn't you ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just in case it's of any interest to anyone, I found this article quite interesting:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/02/ ... 96903.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey. That's a good read. See that the whitest sand in the world at Hyams Beach is only 10km from our proposed campsite. Green Patch looks pretty good as well just north of Honeymoon Bay.

Stringy - 25mm pipe on it's own is no good. Strength is OK however bending only gives a 1.5x safety factor, the minimum is 2x safety factor. ie: by using 100kg static central load it will pass, however the load is live not static causing the pipe to fail in bending. As we said if you place the 22mm pipe internally, causing effectivly a lamination, and bond it in by screwing though the side walls or liquid nails or both, the design passes the 2x safety factor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Slaughter. Is it the same with aluminium tubes?
I'm surprised the PVC is stronger. Guess it's the larger diameter. :?

Great article Mickey. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to our trip! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aluminum is worse. The larger diameter of the poly makes all the difference, and the thicker wall certainly helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nominal 40mm PN12 PVC pipe has an internal diameter of 42.8mm and nominal 32mm PVC pipe has an external diameter of 42.25mm. Would that achieve the reinforcing effect you are after? (Not that either of you is heavy enough to need it.)
I got those figures from the Iplex website, where I also discovered they have a 40mm PN18 pipe with a 3.9 mm thick wall. Now that ought to be really strong!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris - I think the only reason Stringy wanted to use SS was that he already had some. I haven't done any calcs on the PN12 cause I couldn't find the stength properties, but I'm sure it too is OK, however if I ever got up towards 100kg I'd be grabbing the calculator.

I just spent last night repainting my amas. Once the bubbles start under the black paint, it certainly accellerates quickly hey. Gave them a good rub back and clean and then used Glyptal as a base. We used it for our engine and I was impressed with its hardness and the way it holds on. It's the same colour as Killrust, so it will need a black top coat of something, and you can get it in an aerosol but have to search around for it.

http://www.glyptal.com/1201tech001.pdf

I know you were having the same issues so I'll let you know how it performs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Slaughter,
I just grabbed some 32mm PN12 pipe and it fits snugly into the 40mm pipe - so much so that it doesn't need to be glued to retain it. Bunnings only carry PN9, but I found some PN12 at McCracken's Irrigation in Gosford. Would glueing it strengthen it by making it more of a laminate?
Like I said, I don't really need it, but I am interested to see how it works.

I repainted one of my akas. I sanded off the remaining old paint, then treated it with etch primer and Killrust top coat enamel. It looked terrific, but is already starting to flake off a bit after one outing. I am considering asking Matt if this is a warranty item as I believe the older akas were powder coated and did not have the problem. I am also considering springing for getting them powder coated myself.
I'll be interested to see how your's go with the Glyptal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
G'day Slaughter,
I just grabbed some 32mm PN12 pipe and it fits snugly into the 40mm pipe - so much so that it doesn't need to be glued to retain it. Bunnings only carry PN9, but I found some PN12 at McCracken's Irrigation in Gosford. Would glueing it strengthen it by making it more of a laminate?
Like I said, I don't really need it, but I am interested to see how it works.

I repainted one of my akas. I sanded off the remaining old paint, then treated it with etch primer and Killrust top coat enamel. It looked terrific, but is already starting to flake off a bit after one outing. I am considering asking Matt if this is a warranty item as I believe the older akas were powder coated and did not have the problem. I am also considering springing for getting them powder coated myself.
I'll be interested to see how your's go with the Glyptal.

Apparently with the Glyptal you don't need to etch prime. So I just roughed the akas up and sprayed the Glyptal on. I'll just have to wait I spose to see how it performs. It's funny that 2 of my akas and crossbars are perfect and the other 2 are bubbley. Beats me.

Glueing in a central stiffening pipe would certainly give more strength than unglued but it would be an overkill anyway. I was thinking of getting some as well this arvo and the only reason I was going to use glue was because you really only need about 500mm in the middle of the pipe length to take out the bending at the centre so glue would help keep it in place. You need a special glue or cement for PN plastic don't you ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, you do need special glue. The pipe is so cheap, why not just get a longer piece and jam it in? It can't slip out when the pipes are in use and it is a tight enough fit that it won't slip out during transport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next