Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought an 05 getaway cheap, I had one years ago when they first came out and at that time I felt it was underpowered and had calvert sails make a screecher for it, and it worked well. I sold that boat and bought a Nacra 20 which I raced and did some distance races like the steeplechase in key largo, I sold that boat a couple of years ago, guy actually came all theway from Santiago Chile to Florida put it in 40 container in Miami.
Now I have a 5 year old and I thought the getaway would be a comfortable boat for kids, I like the durability and ergonomics of the boat but I would like to increase the sail area to that of the hobie 16. So I was talking to Chip at whirlwindsails and he suggested adding a 16 boom which would bring the foot of the sail out about 18" so this fathead pentex sail should add about 35sqft, I got a used boom measured it out and he"s building the sails now, I am also adding a 6:1 downhaul and a mast rotator, considering hobie 16 spinnaker and snuffer as I"ve seen some people on this forum have been able to adapt them easily to the getaway. Hopeing to get the comfort and durability of the getaway with the power of the H16.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whoa! That's gonna be some powerful getaway!Make sure you provide some pics and feedback on the new sail setp,very interesting!You might need to consider a dolphin striker though,not sure what the limits of the beam are.Good luck with it.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried the H16 Spin and it seemed to be the wrong shape, so I designed one that worked with the sheeting angles a bit better. I designed it to use the shrouds as the sheet point so that holes don't have to be drilled into the hull. I also tried the 16 snuffer and due to the fwd Xbar and the shallow angle of the bridle wires, I felt that it couldn't be made into a reliable kit...the bag hung up on the furler drum. Tangs have to be added to the fwd Xbar to increase the angle of the spin pole bridles to allow for stretch. I would recommend using Dyneema for the spi pole bridles so that you can adjust them. Also, rivet the comptip into the alu extrusion.
I thought about lengthening the bridles and shortening the forestay to give the bag more room, but that's too much work so I stuck with bag launching. I'm going to revisit it this summer. The 16 spin kit can be used, but it didn't seem 100% right to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeremy's kit makes that little boat go down wind. The spin works really nice. It's like a plastic Tiger down wind.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jeremy is your spinnaker larger than the 200sqft of the H16 spin?
Are you useing only 1 pair of rathmatic blocks on the chainplates for the spin sheet or 2? If it's 1 set is it hard to trim?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

awesome. I'd personally love a furling Code 0 for those light wind days.