Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Matt,
My PA came with the new steering drum installed and I was wondering if the smaller diameter original version is still available. I'm sure there are advantages to sharper turning capability! The ease of change over between the two makes owning both sound like a good option.

Thanks,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Admin

We tossed the old ones.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt!
Hmmmm... (the hoarder in me is thinking), if anyone else is looking to toss theirs, please let me know!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got one just stowed away in my back hatch.........but I think I want to keep it for a spare, should I ever need one..........let me think about parting with it!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Mythman, I'll also check with my nearby Hobie dealers and see if they kept any after replacing them with the larger drums. I appreciate your consideration and if I come across one I'll definitely let you know.
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you'll be hard pressed to go back to the turning control the old drum offered. It was somewhat difficult to keep a straight line and isn't something I'd want once I got some relief from it. Whatever reduction in turning ability the new drum allows will be more than adequate and capable. I won't miss the old drum once I change. I still have the original drum on my kayak. I'm going to start on my dealer this week to get my replacement in. You can believe that I won't be hanging on to the old one for any reason. If by the time I get mine replaced you haven't fulfilled your quest for a spare, I'll gladly ship you mine for the cost of shipping. Just don't hold it against me if you put it on and aren't happy with it. I won't take it back. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Yakkingaway,
I can promise you that it's not in my nature to stiff anyone like that. I'm definitely frugal but not a cheap shotter. When I ordered my PA last Fall the dealer was kind enough to give me a loaner to use through seasons end. The only tracking issue I had was at full tilt. There will be times when I'm using my PA in tightly spaced marinas and dock settings and I want to be sure to have the maneuverability to avoid damaging other boater's gel coat finish. Sadly, I've not been able to use my new PA due to a series of surgeries with one more to go on my shoulder. If I find that the larger diameter drum allows for sufficient maneuverability then I'll just keep the smaller one in my workbench. At this point, I just CAN'T WAIT to get on the water period! It's taking everything I have to stave off the urge to use my PA.

Thanks again and I promise I won't do you wrong!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wasn't worried about that piece of it.. it was said with tongue in cheek. I was just trying to impart that I didn't think you needed to worry about it. You'll be tickled with the all around performance just as you got it. Hope you get to use your PA soon. Just the same, I'll keep you in mind when I get my original small diameter drum changed out for the larger. I don't go back on my word either..... BTW, I'm originally from Mt.Pleasant and keep my eye on the Michigan group as much as I can. You might tell me where you're from for kicks. I'm in Norfolk Va area now and have been for some time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yakkingaway wrote:
I wasn't worried about that piece of it.. it was said with tongue in cheek.

I'm glad to know that wasn't a real concern Yakkingaway, I just wanted to be sure. I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and moved out to Gregory (located smack between Ann Arbor and Lansing) in 1997. When I was a tot, my folks bought a small cottage on Portage Lake in the Pinckney area and we spent our Summers there. This is where I caught the "Fishing Bug" and is where I will get the majority of use from my PA.
Thanks again Yakkingaway and I hope Norfolk is treating you well!
GR8 Laker