Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Little Wing wrote:
Yea I guess i'm getting old, I don't think perfect pocket is even in business any more. I dug through my parts and found a couple of the old buggers ,looks like I bought them back in 79.

I've got a few brass ones laying around the shop...what does that say? :lol:

I always rotate them to the back and give out the stainless ones. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds!

Thank you for posting the pic of your 14 sail. Rigged the Wave and switched second batten up and found similar problem. Pic guided well. Uncanny the similarity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've ordered the rivet setting tool and rivets from Hanson Rivet - should be here in a day or two.

Minimum order on the rivets was 100. I only needed 5. Fortunately, the 100 rivets were only $8.

As soon as the tool gets here, I'll make up a holder/press - but not like the one shown earlier in the thread. This will be exclusively for setting rivets in batten end caps, so will be made with the tooling vertically, not horizontally.

I'll post photos as soon as it's built.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be interesting to see that photo.

Used the #80550005's. Replaced three. The top two holes matched. Have a Whitney punch and used it to make the bottom two holes. Fairly clean install.

Feeling more like a ship builder than a sailor right now! But that's alright too.

Maintenance on these boats is kind of like hours of service on an airplane or race car. Ha! So many hours of use requires so many hours of service and tune-ups.

My latest stumps-the-chump problem is traveler tripping...

Traveler is controlled by this:

While cruising along and adjusting the mainsheet, the line through the swivel cleat gets released by mistake. Sheet in, trip the traveler, sail flies out. Sheet in again, trip the traveler, sail flies out. Sheet out a little, trip the traveler, sail flies out...

Going upwind sounds like this: Wheeeeeee, snap (cam cleat sound, traveler line goes out), whap (sail flying out), "DARN"; wheeeeeeeeeee, snap, whap, "DARN"; wheeeeee, snap, whap, "%$#^" :)

At first, put the traveler on a separate line. Then tied the line together with double fisherman's bend. Lubbed the swivel since it was getting stiff (this swivel is not ball bearing, uses washer between plates). Finally have taken the thing apart and found a replacement cam cleat, hoping the edges on the jaws are just worn. We'll see.

edit: doh, hour or two after posting this I realized that I have not washed my ropes since last year... Smart, real smart

weeks later edit: well, washing the lines helped the mainsheet, but not the traveler line. Switched to harder nylon line and left it off the Wave's mainsheet...

Post subject: Re: Batten protectors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
What was wrong with the old style pocket protectors?
The old style included stainless steel screws and only required 4 holes in the sail. #12480001 requires 7 (SEVEN!) holes (5 mounting holes plus 2 locating pegs). Retrofitting the old style protectors would weaken the sail.
The mounting holes are 3/16 so #6 screws need washers under the heads but the countersink in the protector is so small that the nuts and washers must be ground down to fit. #8 or #10 screws have big enough heads but you really need to reduce the nuts to fit inside the counter sink. Also the screws need to be shortened. I use epoxy instead of locktite because I can leave a small mound to smooth the one thread beyond the nut.
Hobie might consider selling the rivet setting tool, or better yet - redesigning the protector to be fitted with included screws, or best of all - returning to the old standby #8055005 protectors.
Has anyone tried 3/16 pop rivets with washers? They are ugly but the irritation factor would greatly reduced.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree, the new luff protectors suck. I have two sails with the new-style luff protector and I'd say probably 30 to 50% of the protectors are cracked to some extent. Looks like it's mainly an issue the Hobie using a different, less durable plastic or possibly the plastic not being thick enough around the rivets.

One of the protectors was broken so badly that I replaced it with the old-style protector. As I recall, two of the holes lined up with the existing holes in the sail and the other two I had to use a hot nail to put the holes in the sail. It got me through the season that way, and then over the winter, I had my sail shop install reinforcement patches over the holes and then I re-installed the new protector.

sm