Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Length of H17 wings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I have a chance to buy a pair of H17 wings that I would like to adapt to a different boat. Can anyone give me the measurement of the overall length that a wing is? This would make the decision a lot easier for me.
Thanks much,
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to Matt Miller who responded to a private email on this question. The answer is 102.25".
Thanks again Matt,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SO? What boat did you adapt them to? How'd they work out? The suspense is killing us... well me anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ReefedOne wrote:
SO? What boat did you adapt them to? How'd they work out? The suspense is killing us... well me anyway.

Well, I'm attempting to adapt them to a Prindle 19. Performance no longer makes wings and I found these H17 wings for sale very cheap. I haven't worked on them much this winter, but the plan is to shorten them enough to line the end of the tubes with the crossbar ends (after removing the ends of the tubing that normally insert into the H17 hulls). I'll need a bracket to mount them to the end of the crossbar, as well as an angle brace to support it. I'll let you know if the project works out, or if my time was wasted.
Jack

P.S. the lower sections of the H17 wings had some major corrosion, so it's not as though I'm ruining a set of usable wings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, I didn't know PerfCats/Prindle EVER made wings. I've been out of the scene for "a while". :oops:

Hard to beat the comfort/convenience of Hobie-style seat-wings, but I'm kind of intrigued by the simple foot-rail-only type wings I've seen on "Blast" brand cats, and some Hobie-Euro boats... gets the hiking job done, and VERY lightweight, I'm sure.

GOOD LUCK!

PS: Unlike NACRA, Javelin, and other cats with no/plastic endcaps, I believe the Prindle crossbars--with their all-the-way-thru-bolts--actually rely on those beefy cast endcaps to resist deformation from the hull-attach bolts. The wing attachments will have to provide that "filler" support.

Post subject: Wood in tubes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jack:

Good luck. I think the tube have wood inside them. If not you may want to add some to keep them from bending. Remember the are only designed for 400 lbs max. I love mine. Great for trap as you are up out of the water and don't get spray as much.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The wings on both of my 17's were rated at 350lbs max. I had two, "I don't need a lifejacket" adults on a wing in some choppy water and the wing snapped off. I barely managed to keep the boat from going over, and then I had to make a decision - try and recover the wing or go back and pick up the tough guys. The swimmers won out - but it was close. They are now "where are the lifejackets" kind of people. All that to tell you this, the 350 max wing load is not a suggestion - it's for real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

drg, quite the eye-opening (and humorous) story! So much for safety margin... So where exactly did the break occur? Did the detached piece FLOAT?

Another nail in the H-17 coffin... I can barely see the once-clear H-17 in my mind's eye... as the much tougher H-18 hoves into view. :wink:

Somewhere in the large Ft. Lauderdale boat building industry, I bet there's someone who can fabricate some light, SEALED, foot-rail-only type wings for whatever boat I wind up with. Screw that class-legal stuff... I'll be crashing all kinds of races... oops, did I cross before the horn sounded? LOL!

Post subject: Must have been bad wings
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put to adults and a 12 yr old on mine all the time. And it is 20 years old. Must have been a bad set

Doug