Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro angler storage
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi everyone,my question is can i store a pro angler on a boatlift per say, but instead of the pro angler resting on two carpeted wooden beams i wanted to hang heavy duty webbing between the two parallel beams.I was thinking of five different pieces that would hang down and support the pro angler in five different locations.I would then make a makeshift roof or temporarily hang a tarp above the kayak to prevent excessive weather exposure.Would the pro angler be okay supported like this or is it a bad way of doing it?Also since the kayak would be stored outside on this lift,and even though it will be fully covered and supported along the length of the hull by the webbing would the fact that it can be 95 degrees most of the summer have a detrimental effect on this kayak.Thank you very much for any input

Post subject: Re: Pro angler storage
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I can hardly speak from experience, but I had the same thought regarding distribution of the storage load across more of the hull then the 2 form-fitted trailer pads would provide. I was thinking more of a hammock-like web arrangement than a series of individual straps, though. Consider something along the lines of http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.as ... m=HITRKNET If you hunt around you can probably find something that would be the right size for the PA. Can't comment on your other questions regarding temperature effects, outdoor storage, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim_MI wrote:
Well, I can hardly speak from experience, but I had the same thought regarding distribution of the storage load across more of the hull then the 2 form-fitted trailer pads would provide. I was thinking more of a hammock-like web arrangement than a series of individual straps, though. Consider something along the lines of http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.as ... m=HITRKNET If you hunt around you can probably find something that would be the right size for the PA. Can't comment on your other questions regarding temperature effects, outdoor storage, etc.

Jim the nets that you provided with the link look much to thin and i would bet they will leave the pro angler looking like it has narrow lines all over it especially if the net is going to support the entire boats weight.Thats why i like much wider straps hugging the boat along its entire length.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The web netting is just a conceptual idea. Seems like it would be easier to use for your hanging arrangement than individual straps, and distribute the load more evenly. I know that you can get non-elastic cargo nets at various places ... see http://www.nextag.com/cargo-net/compare-html for some wide strap options that would avoid the narrow bungee stripes you mention.
I am still noodling-around for a solution for garage floor storage and considering some eggcrate foam or something like that. Eggcrate foam is not very thick and probably would not do the job, but furniture-quality thicker foam is expensive. I may end up with a couple of couch cushions "liberated" from the neighborhood curbside trash pickup, although that would be a tough sell to the wife!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seat cushions would work ok. Have the wife 'assist' you trying to heft it up on overhead storage a couple of times and she'd quickly accept the cushions... :D