Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because there are more people than lakes in California it's rare to be out alone. When the wind dies the motor boats take over and a ride can be hitched with a friendly one. Ocean sailing is different, and a paddle is sure to be on my boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What we did back home at Woodward Res. was get 3 or four people, drift out to the center of the lake and all stand on the leeward-most side, flip her on her side, and put a life preserver on the mast. Using the dolphin striker as a step we'd crawl up to the top hull and dive off. Probably not the best idea, but a whole lot of fun! Great way to cool off in the 100+ heat =]

Post subject: Chetta Motor Mount
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone tried a trolling motor or outboard on the Chetta motor mount? I have a dock hard to get out of besides days when wind dies.

Doug :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember a post about a guy who mounted two trolling motors on a little mount he made for the front crossbar on his H16. He didn't use the boat for sailing; he just operated a company that rented canoes or something and he would go out and pull people back when they got stuck or whatever. Kind of cool. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i saw a guy who had what looked like about a 30 horse outboard on an old 16 that he had "Modified" to say the least. it no longer even resembled a hobie, but made a cool little party boat. but I'd rather sail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Paddling our 21SE with two aboard is a futile struggle for any distance as one has to be at the rudders. As we almost always have two aboard and are under design weight I first tried an electric MinnKota on the cheeta bracket and liked that so much I went to a 2 hp honda 4 stroke. The boat is set up as a day sailer with a forward tramp, bomar hatches, and a reef point added. We can now go out as far as we want without any thought of wind and have on several mornings motored out to find wind later in the day. It goes about 6 kts cruise under motor power. It's been great exploring down Cape Cod's tidal streams where sailing might be possible but very frustrating with tree entanglement etc. We love the iron maiden.

Post subject: 2 HP motor on Hobie 16?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2.5 Merc 2 stroke (wt 39 LBs) and thought of using it on my H16. Your 21 has a larger payload, how does it set in the water when the motor is on board, and how does it affect the sailing mode? I assume you lift it up out of the water? Are you flying a hull?

Life is about each moment of breath,
Living, about each breathless moment!

Thanks, KnesisKnosis, aka Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl"

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl"

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're right. The 21 has a tremendous amount of buoyancy and is not visibly affected by the 28 lb. motor. A sixteen would probably not tolerate the weight, esp. off the stern. We also carry a fair amount of gear (coolers, wetsuits, snorkels & fins, chairs) in the hulls accessed by bowmar hatchs. We are almost always sailing shorthanded with two as this boat is designed to be sailed by three, so the extra weight just brings us back up to designed sailing weight. I have to reef the main in higher winds as we do not have the crew weight to hold her down. She is superfast is light air because she is so light.