Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi gang,
I'm currently planning a 3 week trip along the north shore of Lake Superior where contact with other boaters/residents is limited, at best. I'm wondering whether or not I should purchase a spare rudder or repair kit to have just in case. I've purchased a spare mirage drive but figure that it won't do me much good if I can no longer steer. Any thoughts as to whether this is necessary or overkill would be much appreciated. I haven't seen any posts regarding rudder damage or failure but want to cover all the bases. Wishful thinking along the north shore of Lake Superior won't help remove me from between the rock and the hard place! Yes, I will have a paddle but estimate being approximately 60 miles from where I put in and don't want to use my Personal Locater Beacon unless my life is at risk.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/feedback.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Since your rudder has a kick-up feature and is fully retractable between the hulls, it's hard to imagine breaking one.

Remember your paddle can also be used as a spare rudder -- try it! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Roadrunner, for the most helpful and $$$ saving feedback. I'm looking forward to trying my paddle as a rudder! I've done plenty of canoeing over the years so I would imagine the PA would respond in a similar fashion.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey GR8 -
I lost my rudder control yesterday while anchored. I was tied off to a mooring bouy in the harbor in relativley calm water. I was tied off at the bow with no chance of the mooring anchor line fouling around the rudder or anything like that, so I have no idea how it happened. After I untied and tried to pedal away, I discovered that the rudder was totally unresponsive. I used a paddle as a rudder and beat it for shore. Onshore I discovered that the rudder was hanging down beneath the boat, attached only by the rudder retract line. After removing the cover over the steering drum I found that the linchpin which holds the rudder in place and aligned to the steering drum was missing. So, I would definitely recommend bringing a spare pin (or even a stainless steel cotter pin) along on your trip.
Good luck - keep us posted on your expedition.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the heads up, Jim-Mi,
I'm glad the conditions allowed you to get back to shore safely. That must have been a bit of an Uh Oh, moment! I'll be sure to add a couple of spare pins to my repair kit and I appreciate your sharing this post with us. The list of "things to be prepared for" seems to keep growing but I'd say that's a good thing.

Thanks, too, for the well wishes,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, we're talking Pro Angler here and you roll pin was missing? It had to be taken out or never put in when assembled. I've had to remove mine, when I changed the drum and it wasn't the most pleasant thing I've done lately. I finally found a punch to use for a removal tool and it went much nicer. I can't imagine it "just not being there" such as in "fell out" or "broke". Anyway, glad you've proven the "canoe rudder" worked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yak -
The pin was present when I got my PA - I remember seeing it there and it seemed to be in good position. It worked fine for me the 5-6 times I had it out before "the event". The pin had somehow worked it's way out of the rudder stem, and wasn't actually missing but was rolling around loose in the bottom of the steering compartment. I was able to slide it back into the rudder stem using my thumbnail only, which did not inspire much confidence that it would stay put. I spoke to the dealer and he is investigating remediation. Haven't heard back yet so not sure what fix is in order.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's amazing.. You'd laughed your head off seeing me working my butt off trying to get that sucker out in 95 degree sun the other day. I don't think I'd want it quite as easy as yours is... sounds like they used the wrong size roll pin. Good luck with it.