Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway hull repair
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good afternoon - I'm seeking hopeful info/advice on repairing a Getaway hull. Mine suffered an approximate 4" gash (approx 1/8" wide) on the bottom aft area of the starboard hull (the boat was picked-up by a small tornado in the Keys, if you can believe that!). The factory noted the difficulty of anything adhering to the plastic hull, and suggested I buy a new hull(!). Fortunately they then also suggested I check with the Hobie Forum for more hopeful practical advice. Has anyone had any experience in repairing holes/gashes in the plastic hulls? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Post subject: Re: Getaway hull repair
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've heard (never tried myself), that you can take a blow-torch, a smooth butter knife, and a welding glove, and smooth the abrasion out, possibly even reseal it if it was punctured. You just heat the butter knife in your hand with the blow torch (with the welding glove on of course) and the apply the knife evenly to smooth the surface out. I'm sure that it is probably a little more tedious that I make it sound, but it could be a good try before buying a new hull. Maybe try experimenting on something not so important that is made out of roto-molded plastic (ie. recycling bin, rubbermaid container, ect.). I've heard though that you're not supposed to be able to re-seal roto-molds after they are set if the hole is all the way through, so I wonder if some sort of plastic weld kit would work. Just suggestions though. Hope it all works out!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bowman. Appreciate the advice, especially about first practicing on a similar substance - very smart.

Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

West Marine sells a product called G-Flex (or something like that) which is a semi-flexible epoxy. They claim it will stick to Hobie's rotomolded polyethylene, but I haven't had the occasion to try it.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"