Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Any advice on proper pre-sailing checks for the first time out this year? The boat is 3 years old and I really haven't replaced anything on it yet. Stored outside.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just give it a real good looking over, take extra care looking at the standing rigging, especially where the wire goes around the thimble and back into the crimp. Look for any broken strands or corrosion in this area. Check the joint between the com tip and the aluminum mast. Also check the screws in the transom for looseness or signs of structural problems (cracking around the screws etc.) I lubricate the roller furller drum bearings and the swivel at the top. I always take it through the car wash as it comes out real nice using the power wand. Like I said look EVERYTHING over for any potential problems.
First weekend for me is next weekend rain or shine!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of these years I'm going to make it to Oshkosh for the air show (a dream for mine for 25yrs)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that you should definitely check over the standing rigging carefully. Also check to make sure that none of the big bolts at each end of the wings hasn't worked loose (it's a big pain when you lose one while trailering). Plus the bolts that run through the hull and (sort of) hold the front cross member in place tend to work themselves out over time. Just don't overtighten, or they'll likely strip. Maybe tighten the trampolines if they're loose. And make sure the boat/mast are securely fastened on the trailer!