Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I had an opportunity to demo the Adventure yesterday and also got to try out the new drive fins and compare them with the standard Mirage drive.
As a point of reference, I have the Mirage Classic and Tandom models. First, the boat:

The hull slips through the water more quietly than my older models; you don't feel the speed as much unless you have a nearby stationary reference. It moves windward with much less hull slapping. It doesn't seem to accelerate quite as quickly as the Classic. This could be because of the weight difference or because the drive wasn't adjusted optimally for my reach.

Balance and stability were good. The boat felt very comfortable. It seemed a little drier then the Classic, but so much depends on the wind and chop -- it's hard to make a definitive conclusion in five minutes. It was a little awkward reaching around behind me to flip the rudder up, as the control has moved aft. On the other hand, the new style rudder is great.

Compared with the Classic, the turn radius on the "A" is much larger. Perhaps the optional larger rudder would help, but tight manuvering is much better on the Classic and also better on the tandom (IMO).

Now for the new drive (actually, the new fins). Wow! Compared with the standard drive, this makes the hull almost leap out of the water! It transforms the boat from Clark Kent to Superman (well, almost). I was able to outrun boat wakes easily and surf down them. What a thrill! You can feel the difference from the first stroke. A name for this unit came to mind immediately: "Torque Master". Watching someone else on a speed run from the shore later, the forward quarter of the hull was out of the water half the time.

The new drive does require a bit more leg power to realize its potential. In fact, you can get a complete workout in just 60 seconds! But I see no reason anyone couldn't benefit with it provided they just take their time.

As you know, the "Torque Master" is longer and more rectangular than the standard fins. In my non-professional opinion, the aspect ratio is improved, giving the opportunity for more efficiency. Whether more efficient or just the greater surface area, in any event, you'll feel the difference.

I hope I haven't caused anyone too high of expectations, but, not knowing what to expect, I was impressed. As one who never grew up, I've always been addicted to speed. I've been crossing my fingers for five years, hoping this type of improvement would eventually appear. Hobie has been experimenting with fins for quite awhile and it looks like they definitely have come up with a winner here. Many thanks to the Hobie development team!

The bottom line is, I'll probably end up with a new Adventure. But put me first in line for those new Torque Master fins!!

Post subject: New fin speed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner,

I got to demo the adventure a couple of weeks ago and will be buying one within the month. My top speed was 6.6 mph (gps) and I'm old fat and out of shape. It is an impressive boat. Did you get to verify the speed difference between the old and new fins? What is the latest info on the availability of the new fins to retrofit the older drives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Roadrunner and Windrider,
That is pretty awesome about the new Mirage drive fins. The original prediction was that the new fins would only increase the speed about 10%, but your experience, RR, suggests it might be considerably better than that. Now a 10% increase in speed is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you do long trips, but it didn't seem to justify installing the new kit for me at this point. But, now you've got my attention! Thanks.:D

Post subject: Re: New fin speed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Windrider wrote:
Did you get to verify the speed difference between the old and new fins? What is the latest info on the availability of the new fins to retrofit the older drives?

Sorry, I only got to take a brief spin with each fin configuration, so those were just my subjective observations. I heard that Hobie was currently entering production on the new fins and they should be available after the first of the year. I'm not aware that the price has been established yet. Wish I had brought a camera to show a side by side comparison!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I want MY big fins. Yesterday. :twisted: Apalach,I'm surprised you don't already have a set for your Outback :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote from DrWilki:
Quote:
Paddles. We don't need no steenking paddles.

Quote from dueitt2s:
Quote:
Apalach,I'm surprised you don't already have a set for your Outback

Ahhh, but I do, due. Here ya go. Can also be used for playing yakball, a brand new sport that Hobie will soon be introducing to the general public.:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just like with swim fins, if you use big fins, you need big legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner,

Thanks for the info on the fins!!

Apalach,

Thanks for the welcome!!

I'll buy an Adventure as soon as I sell my Windrider 16 trimaran. A prospective buyer I had just backed out. Anyone want a great deal on a great sailboat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Windrider wrote:
I'll buy an Adventure as soon as I sell my Windrider 16 trimaran. A prospective buyer I had just backed out. Anyone want a great deal on a great sailboat?

Just ordered mine today; will be expecting it in January. Guess I'll be selling my old faithful Classic. Anyone want a great deal on a great kayak? :wink: