Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avoid?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

The problems were not model wide. Look at the crossbar connection points. If the boat has been well used, the problem should have appeared.

The tramp should be no problem. I don't recall a design change.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Trailer Rollers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

peterhsd1 wrote:
Do you know if single rollers can be converted to double? I have a Longe trailer with single rollers and the possibility of the skeg denting occured to me too. What type of double roller set-up is needed to avoid this problem?

I converted my single roller to double rollers by welding up a simple bracket. Check the following photos. There is enough clearance for the unit to rotate slightly on the center mounting bolt so the rollers conform to the boat.

Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Post subject: Tramp Changes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know 100% that the main tramp (not the forward mesh tramp) was different after 2001. I think it was the rope size used on the seams that run through the tracks.

How do I know this? We had a factory defect in the first tramp we had. Hobie gladed gave us a replacement in late 2002, BUT they said they had to make it because the tramp had changed so there would be a lead-time. Different tracks and rope size, that is my finding.

I don't think it is a deal breaker, but something to be aware of when shopping for first-year Getaways. In comparing the 2005 to the 2001, I think the build quality is far better in 2005. The hulls still have issues, mainly with seams and indentations. One hull looks perfect. The other has a few 3-4" concave indentations and the seams aren't lined up perfect. The dealer says don't worry, it isn't a structural issue. But to me, if you buy a new car, or boat, you are to get it without big imperfections...

Post subject: Imperfections
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:38 am 
Site Admin

You may notice that imperfections are symetrical on the boat. We only have one mold, so it is used for both hulls. Over time the mold gets a bit tweaked from the ovens and cooling etc. We try to work out little imperfections where possible, but not all are repairable. These are cast aluminum molds and will get distorted. You don't just run out and replace the molds, they run around $60,000. Mold part lines showing on the outside are not structural. The plastic flows evenly inside.

At some point we may redesign a little and have a new mold made.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)