Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18SX Wings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everyone,

There's a set of 18SX wings for sale on ebay now (VERY CHEAP, if anyone's looking for a set), and I'm just curious... Is it even possible to mount 18SX wings to a regular 18? (In particular, a 1980 18, made before wings were ever available to put on the boat). How about Magnum wings? Does anyone have any good close-up pics of how the wings attach to the boat? All I have are pictures of entire boats that don't show the mounting mechanism very well. Thanks again everyone!

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can mount the SX wings to older 18's. They attach to the cross bars at the hull mounting bolt and in the track the tramp slides into (no, it does not interfere with the tramp). The SX wings also appear to have a stabilizer arm that connects behind the rear crossbar to the gunnel.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wings fit any Hobie 18 ever made. The magnum wing attaches the same as the SX.

Difference in the wings? Look at this FAQ:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2606

The main attachments are via threaded slugs that get inserted into the tramp slots. These slugs sit against the inboard edges of the hulls. A stud is threaded into the slug (1 per corner). The wings slide over and are fastened by nuts then hinge on the stud. There is then a tab that is inserted under the outboard mounting bolt that the outboard strut sits onto and pins to.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: H18/18SX Wings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any comment, Matt or anyone else, about installation of Anchor Plates #64190001, and reinforcement of the hull bonding fibreglass strip re 198? - 1988 models? FAQ link? Or am I confusing hull Anchor Plates with wing Anchor plates?

Any hints on how to ship wings that are nearly 12' long?

Please help me decipher the catalogue, printed and online. Are the rear struts #68160001, no price in the catalogue. The bracket, #91490010 seems to be the parts that screw into the hulls, and into which one (clevis) pins the bottom of the rear struts; no price in the catalogue. #68190001, Anchor Plate SX Wings, $13.13 a pair?, do these mount underneath the lip of the hulls so as to spread the load?

Last weekend, I serviced my rudders as a winter work project. New Delrin screws, oiled and greased and adjusted. Can't wait to get back on the water and try them.

Good winds!

Post subject: Plates
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Anchor plates are related to the "shroud" anchors. These should be on all H18s. If your older boat does not have them... get them.

The crossbar anchor plates (same part actually, but in different qty 64130001 has a set of 4) are recommended for 1984 boats to when they became standard. Especially if adding wings. These go inboard and outboard of the front crossbar to hull connections. If you can add a port to the aft, I would put them there too. I also would glass the inside of the hulls at these connection points to connect the deck to sidewalls.

The little strut in the aft of an SX wing is not used on the magnum version. This is an aluminum rod to help keep the sx wings from moving fore and aft.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the good info everyone - good to know I can add wings at any time I wish (provided I can find a pair). I'm still surprised at the price those wings are going for... :shock:

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill,

Notice the reserve price is not met on the ebay SX wings, plus the fact the rivets failed on one wing means the other ends rivets are probably stressed and need attention, then after you buy all the mounting hardware and pay for shipping...they may or may not end up being that great of a deal.

Post subject: H-18 Wings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill, FYI: I bought a set of Magnum wings from a guy in NH. I just put the word out on the internet sailing sites that I was looking for a set of wings.
I had a choice of Magnum wings that needed new end caps, or SX wings from IA, some rivits needed replacement. The asking price for Magnum wings was $300 and the SX was $750. Shipping from NH to MI was about $200 but an owner of a trucking company from my church shipped them for free. :D

I didn't get to put the wings on the boat last summer as I intended to put anchor plates on the rear crossbar and struts (struts are not necessary for magnum wings but I like to ensure a bullet proof boat) as I sail on Lake MI in some large waves.

A friend of mine said that once I sailed on a boat with wings I would never take them off (unless racing).

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net