Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Traveller kit on SE / Classic Wave? Yes it is possible!

This thread started life as a digression from the "Traveller Kit" threads, but seems it should independent so I created a new topic for this mod.

Per Matt Miller’s suggestion to add lacing posts like the Getaway & H20, I came up with a way to adapt to classic tramp, while minimizing modification of the tramp. Here is a pic of the finished mod:

To do this you will need to order from your Hobie dealer:
(From page 60 of the catalog, H20 rear crossbar detail), eyelet post 41220001, you will need 8,
rivet 8011231, get 9, (8, plus a spare)
15' of low stretch 3/16â€

2007 Hobie Wave

Last edited by wannahobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I discovered that while the 3/16" lacing holds the tension well, it allows no 'give'. Also, the lacing does take a few minuites to do. So I devised an alternate method using the same lacing posts and tramp mods, and shockcord. Once the shockcord straps are installed and adjusted for decent tension, they can litterally be hooked up/ undone in a matter of seconds, a definite plus if you need to take apart to transport. Here are some pics below:
Basically, I made up four shockcord straps, using 3/8" shockcord, a bunch of marine hog rings (used to secure the loops on the cords) two are 12" long, the other two are 13-14" long, which get threaded thru the lacerod on one end, and the other is an adjustable 'hook' (w/built in clam cleat) on the other. The hooks were from an adjustable shockcord kit I bought from Home Depot. The 3/8" shock cord was a little snug, but will fit these hooks.
I made the center two shorter as you can tell from the pics, they need to be shorter due to post interval at middle.
Here it is in action: (note tiller extension, that is in another thread)

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wannahobie, great job and great pictures. Do you think the plastic Home depot Hooks are strong enough not to break? And would they come undone with a heavier load on the tramp?

I also like your black port holes... What size are they 4" 5" or 6"? Did you get the contoured ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHT wrote:
Wannahobie, great job and great pictures. Do you think the plastic Home depot Hooks are strong enough not to break? And would they come undone with a heavier load on the tramp?

I also like your black port holes... What size are they 4" 5" or 6"? Did you get the contoured ones?
Thanks!
The hooks are actually quite robust. They seem to take the load just fine. Plus, I know where to get cheap replacements!

The thing to remember w/ the classic tramp, it will never be as tight and tensioned like the club. No matter what I tried, with the velcro straps in place, the tramp just never got that tight. I felt uncomforable w/ the apparent distortion if I tried to overtighten the side cables, and if I tried to put tension w/ the velcro, they would slip once weight was put on the tramp.
The shock cord allows a little stretch back there, but otherwise makes it appear tight. For someone who wants one step closer to really tight, then I would recommend using the same method (four individual cords w/ individual adjusters) but use lacing line. It should work fine w/ the little plastic hooks w/ intergrated clam or v cleats, or other quick adjusting devices. This will still allow you to take apart or reassemble very quickly.

The ports are the 5" contour-ground veriety that Hobie sells. I positioned them (center) 11 1/4" from the rudder gudgeons. I like the ports, as they allow me to get in and sponge/bail the water that does get in there (rainwater or whatever thru the open plugs). Otherwise you need to get the bows like 4 ft in the air to get the water to drain out the plugs!
Also, I plan on getting a hatch bag or two, to store stuff.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Wannahobie... I guess people with the Club Version should be thankful they don't have to deal with this.

But now, Wannahobie, I think it's time for you to get your Traveller... you certainly deserve it. Perhaps we should start a collection? LOL.

RE the 5" port holes: any reason why you chose Black vs White, beside looks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHT wrote:
Thanks Wannahobie... I guess people with the Club Version should be thankful they don't have to deal with this.

But now, Wannahobie, I think it's time for you to get your Traveller... you certainly deserve it. Perhaps we should start a collection? LOL.

RE the 5" port holes: any reason why you chose Black vs White, beside looks?
Yes, need the traveller next! Checks can made directly to wannahobie, reference the wannatraveller fund, PO Box xxx, bla bla bla

I think the black ports just look better, the white ones tend to yellow and make the boat look old.
I guess if had to do it over again, I may spring for the 6" twist lock ports, they apparently will will fit fine. Believe it or not, 5" is not very big an opening when you are trying to stick your arm way down there! Another benifit of the twist lock ports, the top stays attached, where the regular screw down ports could get lost at sea if you were to open them for any reason while underway.

2007 Hobie Wave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice mod on the tramp.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too replaced my velcro strips and add a travelor to my se. was fairly simple and my new arrangement has kept my tramp a lot tighter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

clark wrote:
I too replaced my velcro strips and add a travelor to my se. was fairly simple and my new arrangement has kept my tramp a lot tighter.
Cool! Glad too see someone else do a similar mod. How did you do it?

2007 Hobie Wave