Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is my first post anywhere so please forgive me if I seem dense. I bought my new GetAway last summer ('04) and I love it more than I can say! The first time I capsized I learned I can't right it alone. (female - 130 lbs- old age). I bought shroud-extenders which add 18" to the weather shroud--the idea being you pull the pin when you know you're going over. I tested it in calm, shallow water and it worked great. Last weekend I capsized in 15-20 Kn winds and I was swimming before I could pull the pin. The pin was sitting on the weather ama 8 feet straight up. I managed to climb up and release it-I don't know how. I didn't manage to swing to the wind and wasn't able to right it myself. Some fellow jumped off his speedboat and pulled it right over, though. Does anyone have experience with the extenders as a self-righting tool :?: If so, I'd love some info on what I could have done differently. The only other thing is a tendency to slip off when suddenly heeled in a gust. I'm considering neoprene pads. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Without trying to be a smart-#$$, I think the objective is to avoid capsizing. I find the Getaway to be a very forgiving boat that will never take you into a situation that you don't want to be in (as long as you aren't sailing in crazy weather).

In gusty conditions, I like to hold the mainsheet in my hand (rather than leave it cleated). That way, when the boat starts to go too far over, I can both let out the sheet and head up. The worst case here is that the boat slows very abruptly, or does a handstand, but it shouldn't go over. Also keep a careful eye on the leeward bow to make sure that it doesn't submerge completely. Are you already doing these things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much for your response. I capsized once last year and once this yr (so far) :oops: Both in 15-20 and alone. Yes I had the sheet in hand cuz it was gusting. Last year I had to gybe to avoid an idiot power boat. This year, I have NO idea why it happened. I was very surprised to be over so fast. My main pain is that I'm avoiding nice, brisk winds becauseI haven't been able to self-right. I am a good, experienced sailor, though fairly new to cats. The shroud extender seems like such a good idea. One thing I didn't do was to stand aft on the bottom ama. Would that have brought it into the wind? That great, big tramp was catching a lot of wind. Yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

p.s.: No trouble so far burying the bow. I feel the tendency, though, when it picks up speed. I move aft and head up bit. So far so good.

Post subject: shroud extenders
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you pulled the pin on the wrong extender. the idea is to extend the stay on the hull that is in the water in order to bring the mast up higher off the water for you. but, at 135 lbs you are never going to bring a getaway back up. I don't even know if a water bag with the extenders will work.
I know righting poles work great but I have only used one on a 17 sport cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you should pull the extender on the one out of the water. This would bring the high hull over past vertical away from the mast where it's weight will help. Pulling the one in the water would make it worse.... wouldn't it?

Don't feel bad I'm rather large and mine went over this year with very little wind. :oops: (I was goofing off, you really should be siiting on the correct side of the boat).

Anyway, if you weigh only 130 and only turned over 2 times in 2 years in any wind much less 15 or more, wow.

Post subject: Correct.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to be sure we all understand which pin gets pulled on the shroud extenders.

The upper one for sure. This allows the hull, up in the air (as written by "nevillemwiles") to go over center and allow its weight to assist in righting.

Here is a shot of the Sport Cruiser with extended righting system.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: shroud extenders
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. The upper shroud being extended is the point of the whole thing. All you have to do is be a mountain climber to get to the pin. I never got it into the wind and will always wonder if I could have righted it then. It would have been even greater when I was upright again to have been able to get the extended shroud on the leeward side, what with the loose mast careening all over the place. Some nice fella jumped in and swam it around, then helped me replace the shroud closer to its original position. Love the foto. Thanks!

Now my main pain is figuring out how (IF?) to cover the boat for the Brrrrr Minnesota winter :? I thought I had it and the very next day it all blew apart in 45kn winds. Is there an opinion in the house about either how to do it or if I need to? It is sitting flat up on the shore with mast and rudders off. The GetAway is plastic, remember. Hmmm?

Post subject: Re: shroud extenders
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

amamama wrote:
I never got it into the wind ....

hmm to get it to go into the wind just sit on the bow of the hull for a while, and it will slowly start to swing around, and point the tramp into the wind.

Then it shud be easy enuf to lift the boat outta the water.

good luck...and good sailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I understand that that should work. Besides wearing non skid footware, that is the first thing I'll try next time. I hope you're right that I can right it myself. This is very important to me. Thanks again for your response :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it will be necessary to cover the boat for the winter. I have a kayak that I leave uncovered all year long. I've stored it outside for three years now with no issues. If you are really worried about UV you can get something called "303 Protectant" to put on your hulls. This will protect them from the sun.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've read that standing on the bow should bring the boat into the wind, but I've never been able to do it with my getaway. I wonder if it just dosen't work with the getaway, for some reason. Or perhaps I'm not doing something right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt -

I have read this post a number of times, as I also have trouble righting my Getaway solo. When I looked in the Hobie catalog, I noticed there was no solo righting system for the Getaway. I called my local Hobie dealer, and asked them about this. They called Hobie to find out which one I should order. They called me back and told me Hobie doesn't recommend this for the Getaway. My question to you is why don't they? and other than a water bag, what else works solo?

Thanks -

David