Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drysuits
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm asking here b/c of those frostbite sailors. I'm looking at the Gul suits that murrays has. Any opinions on those? And yes, its either a drysuit or $250 spray equipment (I sail when the water is below freezing, its salty in the chesapeake, even in March).

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sam,

Where are you on the Chesapeke?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Solomons Island. My boats at my house in Cove Point, which is on the bay. (about ten minutes north of the island).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe next spring we can get togeather for a sail. I've done my share of cold water/weather sailing up in MA and can live without it. Plus my crew (fiancee) is not a fan.

I used wetsuits up there, but the biggest problem I had with them is they are very uncomfortable after a while. You need to keep them wet or they really start to chafe. Also, you really can't add more layers for extra warmth.

For the dry suits, take a look at the kayak stuff too. I think NRS has a pretty good selection.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I'd love to get togethor for a sail. Looking like I might be getting two new boats this winter, a 16 and possibly a vanguard 15. I currently use a 5/3 semi-drysuit, which is basically like a wetsuit but its got wrist seals, no zipper, is pretty hard to get in and out of b/c of that, and is pretty watertight. It only leaks when you get in the water. The problem is, for racing (I'm team captain for our high school team), we are required to wear foul weather gear+wetsuit or a drysuit when air temp.+water temp is less than 120 degrees (for comfort its usually more like 125 or 130). My suit is designed to shed water, but foul weather gear often traps water in between the suit and the gear making it colder, and my foul whether gear is in need of replacement. High quality foul weather gear is upwards from $250 for pants and jacket (breathable), while I can get a breathable drysuit for $400.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you plan on sailing on a college team and after you might as well invest in a good dry suit (that is if you've stopped growing or will stop soon). They are just much more comfortable from what I've heard.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Foul weather gear
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best is to be like the sailing Pro's, who wear $700 drysuits.

Cheapskates like me wear 5mm wetsuits when the water temp is cool to cold. Up here in Canada, when the wind chill hits, I add a top layer of nylon windbreakers, (pants and jacket, such as K-Ways, Mountain Coop,whatever).

When it gets even colder, I first put on a pure wool sweater. Our sailing ancestors knew that the advantage of wool is that it stays warm, even when wet. My most recent experience was on Oct 22, Air temp 12C/54F, water temp 15.5C/60F, when the trapeze hook became undone and I took an unexpected swim. Yes, it took us an hour to reach back to the club, and by that time, my feet and legs were cold. Any more sailing like this, and I'll spend the cash for better gear. Or, maybe I can get a sponsor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats why I bought the best suit murrays had at the time..no more cold weather woes for me!