Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bow hatch Leak
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did 22 miles GPS on Friday in the AI most of which was in the inlet and open water 1 mile offshore in 10-15+ mph winds hiked out on tramps a fair bit of time. Pretty big swell many Overhead high sitting in the boat when in the trough. Lots of submerged bow and total overwash at times. Great fun day. Temp 82 water temp 77
At the dock I had approx. 2 tablespoons of water in the bow and I think some of that was water running in the t&s hatch in the center when opened with standing water on the lid. I use a thirsty towel on the inside to catch this but it doesn't get it all.

When the boat is stored in the Garage I always release the Bungees on the front hatch and leave the center t&s open. I think maybe not having the hatch seal compressed all the time may have some benefits. It must play a factor as i am not having the leaking troubles. 2008 boat with no mods other than tramps and turbos.

Post subject: Re: Bow hatch Leak
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My '07 AI and my wife's '09 do not leak in the front hatch. In our case, it is very easy to see in practice if they leak because we have gear underneath the hatch cover. If it leaks, that gear gets wet. I have had 2 instances when the front hatch has leaked. Once when I overloaded the bow and had to force the front hatch cover down before bungeeing--it leaked that day. The second time a friend was using my wife's boat. He put his fish net (a round metal frame fish net) under the front hatch bungees. That apparently was enough to distort the hatch cover compromizing the seal. The front hatch leaked. Next day, at my suggestion, he did not have the net bungeed on the front hatch, and it did not leak.

When I store the AIs, I don't bungee the front hatch (aka ElementAI), and I totally remove the cover so as to not permanently compress the rubber hatch seal.

In my experience, the front hatch does not leak unless the seal has been compromized in some way.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon