Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BobnDeb wrote:
:? :roll: Hi all. While were on the issue of adventuring in the winter months, can I ask you what sort of gear do you use to keep dry and warm. We've had a look at Whitworths to see what they have but they only have those wet weather pants with the braces and separate booties. Is that all thats around or has someone found something better. We have wet weather jackets but nothing for the bottom end.
Cheers Deb.

I used my AI last winter. I've had it pretty much 12 months now. Most of the time it was a matter of keeping the wind off my upper body. I used a breathable spray jacket from one of the boating places. Cost about $110 or so. Not gortex but makes a huge difference just keeping the wind off. Must admit that I also picked my days for the finer weather.

I've also got Sharkskin vest and pants. I didn't have the need for it last winter but carried the extra clothing in a dry bag just in case. I do use wetsuit booties most of the time, even in summer. Nothing worse than cold feet.

Josh over on Yakabout has mention of some new clothing that's supposed to be a little cheaper than Sharkskin.
http://yakabout.com.au/articles/89-kayak-clobber/470-lavacore-base-layer-garments

Really is pretty warm in Sydney if you pick your days. Packing up in the dark is another matter......

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contrary to Slaughters post ( :wink: ) I have Goretex Paclite pants and find them very comfortable. Being single layer they are light and flexible and OK for pedaling. They are general bushwalking pants so the cut is quite baggy. The three layer Expedition type Goretex is more durable but quite stiff and uncomfortable when pedaling.
I have recently purchased Goretex Paclite bike shorts and so far I'm impressed. For the first time I am dry and comfortable despite sitting in the usual AI seatwell water. They are designed for cyclists so they suit the pedaling action of Hobies well. Gore Bikewear UK also do full length and 3/4 length pants. The shorts are so good I am wishing I had bought the long pants as the cycle cut is very comfortable. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, Kevin from NB Laser was demonstrating some Outfitters when I landed back at the sailing club this afternoon. He was singing the praises of a pair of Henri LLoyd long sailing pants he just got. He reckons they keep him really dry and warm and breathe well. They are $170, so they'd want to.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the info guys about the bottom end (clothing I mean). Quite enlightening. I'll be sure to have a look at Stringy's comp pix too. Cheers Deb.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm. Don't check the pic out too closely Deb! :oops: :wink:

Chris,
I looked at those HL pants when I was there last week. The problem I see with pants designed for sailing or even bushwalking is that they aren't that suited to pedaling.
I have yet to find a material that breathes as well as Goretex.
The Gore Bikewear range are designed with pedaling in mind. The cut is slim and shaped for a bent knee and the cuffs can be tightened so they don't get tangled in the pedals. That feature also stops spray from getting in. :)

Slaughter,
Re Fingal- I'd prefer to make more of a trip of it if possible, maybe a few days up there so a better weather window would be good. Next week is looking a bit dodgy. As you know midweek suits me better. We still have to do the Terrigal to Maitland Bay day trip. May be a better short notice option with the unpredictable weather at the moment?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D :lol: Stringy, that pix should have won the comp. First for imagination. Well done :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:

Slaughter,
Re Fingal- I'd prefer to make more of a trip of it if possible, maybe a few days up there so a better weather window would be good. Next week is looking a bit dodgy. As you know midweek suits me better. We still have to do the Terrigal to Maitland Bay day trip. May be a better short notice option with the unpredictable weather at the moment?

Sounds good. Some of the team at work are away over the next month. We need the whole team for test runs so this makes it easier for me to take a day or two or three off. I've noticed that seabreeze and willyweather are pretty inaccurate at the moment. Even 2 days out, the forcast can change dramatically.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Brother will move back into his house in Soldiers Point in November so I will have a base for trips then, I will keep a hopeful eye on skeds posted here.

Try the Sharkskin Pants, I have never used my Paddling Jacket since I bought the long sleeve Sharkskin top from Yakabout.
The old waterproof jacket was too hot most of the time and a pain to pull on, the Sharkskin is comfy and light, I imagine the pants would be too but if its that cold I use my Kokatat suit. (Who says they dont have style, just add a little air..)

Baked Beans for breakfast and a Dry Suit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: You got me there Max. Yep, that certainly is style with a capital 'S'.

Do you mind if I grab this shot and start a thread 'Photo Caption Competition' ?

That will be good with the Soldiers Point accomodation. I also have a place at Soldiers Point so I'm sure something can be arranged when the weather clears.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
Baked Beans for breakfast and a Dry Suit.

:lol: :lol:
You may have come up with a simple method for leaktesting your drysuit there Max!
Wouldn't want to be closeby when you burp that suit though! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pass me a pin.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure mate, although I might regret this decision..

Here's another, it's a rainy night at the Kayak camp, we have no Nintendo but we have Beer, a Bike Pump, and Paddle Suit, what can we do with that?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Slaughter wrote:
:lol: You got me there Max. Yep, that certainly is style with a capital 'S'.

Do you mind if I grab this shot and start a thread 'Photo Caption Competition' ?

That will be good with the Soldiers Point accomodation. I also have a place at Soldiers Point so I'm sure something can be arranged when the weather clears.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Pass me a pin.... :lol:

That's a bewdy mental image Cows, I can just see me spinning off over the Bay making that spluttering noise that released balloons make. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: It's amazing what beer can do. Is the beer still within your body Max ? It's not like a wetsuit mate.

I might try to get out off Port stephens this weekend if anyone is interested. Last weekend would have been near perfect but the weather predictions were for bad weather? Go figure ! So I don't think it's worth relying on what is said on Seabreeze or similar. If I get up there and it's too rough outside the heads then I'll just sail around in Shoal Bay for the day. Anyone keen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am having a new face installed at the dermatologists on Wed so will be out of action for a cupla weeks.
Hope you get good conditions, it' a beautiful place.