Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Spinnaker
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got the new 2010 Hobie Accessories Catalog today. It now shows a Spinnaker kit available for the Getaway. Anyone get one of these yet? If so, are they difficult to use, and what kind of downwind performance increase can one expect?

Post subject: Re: Getaway Spinnaker
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been working on just that, I installed a H16 spin kit on a getaway. When will Hobie have installation instructions posted on there support page? and is the kit for the getaway identical to the H16?, seems so they only have one part #.
Here is a link to a thread I started:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=108762
http://www.seanconneely.com/Hobie%20Getaway%20SC.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is just one kit - it mounts to the H16/.... or you can mount it on a Getaway (with minimal effort - all you do it use a short pigtail line to attach the bridles for the pole to the bow spreader bar)

We haven't printed instructions - since this is a very low volume seller - it hasn't been taken on yet - if you have a question or if you want to install this kit on your getaway feel free to contact me off the board (my e mail is listed below) I'll help you out - its easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes!I have some questions.I am thinking about fitting one to my getaway,what is the size of the kite and do the fittings take into consideration that i dont use wings.I live in Tasmania and would have to go through steve in sydney.Also,what is the cost for the kit?
Tasmania's only getaway sailor. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin

You will need to ask about price in Australia. USA suggested price (2010) $1,680

Kit does not require seats / wings.

Spinnaker is the H16 snuffer style from Hobie Cat France (15 sq m).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt,your help is greatly appreciated.Looks like it could be a great summer coming up with a kite for the getaway!Now to find a crew who knows how to handle it!!Thanks,will contact my local dealer.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

-bump-

Has anybody tried the spinnaker? I'll be honest, I've never tried one, but where I am the light winds make me very desirous of more sail area - plus the fact that the Getaway is much poorer on a reach than I'd expected. I don't know if its the lack of boom, the small always-close jib, or my own expertise. I just am tired of saying 'another 5mph wind day, no point in getting her out.'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We put a spinaker on my Getaway last year. It was from a H16 and we installed a snuffer. For racing it seems a little slow. It is an older spinaker and I was told 2ft were cut off it. We could not mount the upper pulley quite as far up the mast as on the H16 (mast was a little thin up there). The H16 mast was a little taller than mine.
But just to go out sailing I love it having the spinaker. It really makes the boat a lot more fun when the wind is low. Especially if you have spouse and kids on board. The down wind sail is very smooth with the spinaker up. People on the beach love all the colour (which is another thing people like about the Getaway - the colourful sails). I also use it as a really big jib when the wind is really low. It just means I can go out when the wind is so low - I normally would give up. I have to drive an hour to the marina - so being able to go out - even when the wind is low - means a lot to me.
I sail mostly alone (with other boats prefered) and I was very impressed how I could manage all three sails. You have to love how simple it is to operate this catamaran.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely getting the kit for next spring, I'm glad to know its easily manageable by one, which is how I often go out.

Johnston Hall wrote:
We put a spinaker on my Getaway last year. It was from a H16 and we installed a snuffer. For racing it seems a little slow. It is an older spinaker and I was told 2ft were cut off it. We could not mount the upper pulley quite as far up the mast as on the H16 (mast was a little thin up there). The H16 mast was a little taller than mine.
But just to go out sailing I love it having the spinaker. It really makes the boat a lot more fun when the wind is low. Especially if you have spouse and kids on board. The down wind sail is very smooth with the spinaker up. People on the beach love all the colour (which is another thing people like about the Getaway - the colourful sails). I also use it as a really big jib when the wind is really low. It just means I can go out when the wind is so low - I normally would give up. I have to drive an hour to the marina - so being able to go out - even when the wind is low - means a lot to me.
I sail mostly alone (with other boats prefered) and I was very impressed how I could manage all three sails. You have to love how simple it is to operate this catamaran.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like some info on what i need for setting up a
spin on my getaway. purchased a assy from a vanguard
nomad which is 17'. planning on using a cut down windsurfing
mast for a pole and getting a snu snuffer. want info on what and how many ratchet blocks, other blocks cams etc and line sizes and lengths..
thanks doug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

has any one since this post actually tried one or bought one? looking at getting one but want to see what others think of it first

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cam4502 wrote:
has any one since this post actually tried one or bought one? looking at getting one but want to see what others think of it first

I too am interested if anyone has actually bought and rigged the Hobie 16/Getaway kit?

So I'll add some...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's almost halfway through summer and no real response on this question - anyone out there tried a Hobie brand spinnaker yet on a Getaway? How much different are they from the Surf City ones?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

We have sold a bunch for use on Getaways over the past several years. It works well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just set one up on my getaway. not hobie spin
but similar got snuffer and some parts from todd at sturgis boat works
let you know after i try it