Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 16 and would love to get into racing. Are there any clubs in the northern Chesapeake Bay region? Can anyone race in club events or are they open to the public?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The biggest fleet near you is Hobie Fleet 54 - contact info is here:http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=3615&MenuID=Fleet_Info/13015/3594/

Events are open to anyone with a class legal boat. Class Rules are here:http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1673&MenuID=Class_Rules/10773/0/

You will need to be a member of the Hobie Class Association to race in most events. Membership is only $35/year and gets you six issues of the HCA HOTLINE magazine.

Hobie Class Association Division 11 hosts a number of regattas along the East coast and upper bay. You can check the schedule in the latest HOTLINE issue: http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information. Looks like my boat isn't class legal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Artep wrote:
Thanks for the information. Looks like my boat isn't class legal.
I'd bet that whatever things aren't class legal on your boat (is it the trampoline or no comp-tip?) can be addressed with the help of some other Hobie racers. They're always looking to add more sailors to the starting line. I say show up and enter a race, the competitors, not the organizing authority, will have to protest your boat for not being legal. Racers will rather help you get your boat legal than run you off. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. Show up, and I think you'll be suprised at how much people want to help you out. I was the same way at first, I didn't have a comptip so I thought I couldn't race, (although most of the time I race single-handed in non-HCA events, (just because of location, not because of HCA)). The first race I did with a Hobie Fleet was with Hobie Fleet 32 in Virginia Beach. They are a great group of people. I showed up to the beach a little on the late side and wasn't nearly as efficiant at setting up my boat quickly. I realized that I had lost the pin to connect my lower block to the traveller, which of course is the only one of that size on the boat. Some of the fleet ladies still on the beach looked through their people's stuff to find one for me so I could do the race. Once I got on the race course, I was clueless. I missed every start, I had no idea to even look for course numbers or what they even meant, and I'm sure I was in everyone's way. But, no one yelled at me or gave me any flac about my non-comptip mast. It was a blast and now I put some of their events on my calander every year.
It's been my experience, as a total newbie to sailing when I started, that cat sailors are really nice, helpful people, provided you are willing to accept their advice and help.