Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flipped
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol:
Finally it happened; I flipped my H17 yesterday. I was looking on the flipped boat first time. Since the water was still cold and not many boats were in vicinity I got scared that it will turtle and then???
I didn’t orient the boat in the correct wind direction and I finally righten it with help from other boat by lifting the mast a bit.
Here are the questions:
1. How long it will approximately take before the boat turtle?
2. What is the best technique the move the mast in correct direction to wind?
8)

Post subject: Re: Flipped
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How fast will it turtle? Depends on the capsize. If it is a slow roll-over and you can get to the underside of the boat quickly and lean out, you can avoid a turtle. If it is a fast pitchpole capsize, then the boat may be turtled as you hit the water (as my last capsize was).
What is the best technique the move the mast in correct direction to wind? If you turtle then stand on the leeward hull when un-turtling. This will put you cross wind and the winds force on the tramp will help un-turtle the boat. Once the boat is on its side, then move your weigh toward the bow and this will point the bows toward the wind, and that is where you want the boat to be when righting the boat. During the actual righting I usually keep my weight centered relative to the bow and stern. Make sure your hiking stick and rudders are not fouled and the boat will round up into the wind when righted. At point of no return (i.e., the boat will right without your pull) grab onto the windward side of the dolphen stricker and hang on to keep from cartwheeling. Also, when the boat initially rights, it might start to sail a little as it rounds into the wind, so continue to hang on until the boat comes into irons.( :wink: