Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, all. I just got a used Revolution and want to outfit it for sailing. I am unsure whether to go with the Hobie sail or a Pacific Action. The reasons for doubting either:

The Hobie has no furl/unfurl system. I would be carrying camera gear and do not want to risk an out of control sail.

The Pacific Action looks like it lies down when not in use. I wonder if the would get in the way of the Mirage pedals.

I've read the posts regarding home made furling systems, and the few that mention the PA sail. I'm not a rocket scientist or mechanically inclined at all, so I don't want to have to build something from scratch. I've also see all the information about wind paddle, which looks very cool for downwind sailing. But I want to be sure I can home from wherever the sail takes me :shock:

I'd like to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge around either of these sails. Thanks!

Sean
2009 Hobie Revo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally do not think you will do better than the standard Hobie sail. I have no personal experience of the others but acquaintances of mine do - apparently they are only any use downwind/across the wind whereas the Hobie sail allows you to sail upwind very effectively as well (though your ability to point upwind depends on your boat's ability to point as well - the Mirage fins help the Hobies to point - Turbo fins better than the smaller ones - the optional daggerboard improves the upwind performance of the Adventure markedly over the other models. However all the Hobie Mirage kayaks that I have tried will sail upwind using the fins/daggerboard as a keel).

Be aware, though, that sailing these micro yachts can be tricky for the inexperienced in anything other than perfect (relatively light and constant wind conditions and slight seas) and even the experienced get the occasional ducking.. :oops: . There are a couple of mods you can make to the stock boat to reduce your risk of a bath but even so personally I do not/would not carry expensive camera gear on my boat all the time. If I carry a (pocket) camera I keep it in an Otter box inside the boat and only get it out if the conditions are right.

Mods/considerations to reduce likelihood of a capsize include
1. free-running blocks for the sheet lead so that the sail can be de-powered instantly
2. optional sidekicks which turn the kayak into a trimaran - lots of people use them for increased stability when sailing - or get an Adventure Island...
3. daggerboard (Adventure/AI only)
4. a batten in the foot of the sail to keep the sail open when sailing downwind - this has the effect of reducing the rolling action of the boat which is exacerbated by the sail opening and closing when sailing downwind
5. roller reefing/furling - stow the sail or reduce sail very quickly if conditions deteriorate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Sean,

I just purchased an Oasis and have used twice sailing it both times. I also have 30 years of sailing in small boats and have learned alot about small craft sailing. First, though I have no experience with a PA sail I can tell you that the Hobie sail is about right for the craft. I think the boat is capable of more wind than most of us our nerves would allow us to be out in. I agree with Stubbo it would probably be wise to stick with the company set-up. Even without an official furling system the sail can be deployed or furled in a matter of seconds. Just make sure you are always heading straight into the wind for either action. I can already tell you from my experience to never sail DDW (direct down wind). Always use a slight tack on a run and you will stay out of alot of trouble. The other day I was in a DDW position and the boat immediately started to rock. Once I took it to a slight rear starboard tack she behaved well. Finally as Stubbo stated watch it with expensive equipment such as cameras etc. I lost a nice camera years ago by just putting it in the bottom of a sailing dory. I don't know what happened to it but I looked and it had just disappeared. Now I make sure stuff I like is securely stowed until it is safe to use it.

Good luck with your boat and have great fun with it. So far I am really impressed by what these boats can do. - Roger :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wondering if Both could be used at the same time?? be good for faster downwind runs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All good advice above.

I have the Tandem Outfitter with sail and is stable with the sail - even in moderately high winds (15-20mph). Been in winds higher than that but things tend to get a bit tricky. In fact, I bent the first mast and noticed yesterday the second mast is aslo bent slightly due to staying out when the winds picked up. Yesterday, with 2 of us in the boat we are able to get to almost 5Kts. That is pretty good imo considering the sail size and w/o and extra stability (Amas). My wife took some video from yesterday - perhaps I will try to post one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to avoid bending the mast you need to think about staying it (stays are the wires that hold a yacht's mast up). It is easy to do & very effective - I have an Outfitter and while I haven't stayed the mast on it I have looked at the boat & found various pad-eyes on bow & gunnels just behind the mastbase which are ideally positioned for staying. FWIW I use very thin (like 1 or may be 1.5mm) spectra for my stays - not wire.

If you want to run 2 sails - on the Oasis: convert it to a schooner with a second Hobie sail kit and an mastbase attachment on the forward hatch cover (search for posts on this site). On the Outfitter: now you have a stayed mast it will support much greater sail area so you can fly a jib as well as the main (i use an off the shelf sail for a Topper sailboat which works very well). Both of these mods will transform the sailing performance of your tandem...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know in past posts Kepnutz has posted pictures of his adventures in his tandem kayak utilizing both the Hobie sail and a Windpaddle on the bow controlled by his partner. The Windpaddle & Hobie sail can be used cross wind and down wind and use the hobie sail to tack. I am sure there could be a way to adapt it to a single kayak also.

A search of his posts should render some answers you seek.

Revo